I'm around that age where i should be deciding what to do with my life. and i would LOVE to get into lutherie or just guitar making in general. I've looked up courses like TAFE, but theres nothing i can find that shows how to even get started with lutherie. Can anybody give me some advice as to how i could go about finding an apprenticeship or course or anything that would give me a kick start in this area?
thanks
Design Technology/Woodwork maybe?
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
You mentioned TAFE, that suggests you're an Aussie.

Good luck, there isnt any courses that will give you training to be a luthier. You'll have to travel to the USA or Europe (maybe UK?) for that. There are some $2500-4000 courses in Oz that will see you build a nice guitar though.

I started out as a Carpenter, finished that trade, then restarted as a Cabinet Maker. Cabinet Making has changed in the past 10-15 years though, and its mainly flat panel work. Depending on the state you are in, there are even different cabinet making apprenticeships. You dont want a job working where its all flat panel work. Even a "decent" cabinet makers wont teach you that much in common with building guitars.

I say find something else, and do the building as a hobby and work it up into a career from there. Be your own boss.

Of course, there is Maton and Cole Clark. Minimum wage, one job, no training outside of that one job. A friend on mine has the job of sanding the bracing. Thats all he's ever done. His third year this year. He makes guitars at home for fun/sale, but they wont let him do anything else at Maton. They have a high turn over rate because of that, but you'll get to see guitars being made every day.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
Yeah, Perry is right, there isnt much here on Oz...
Perry's course is apparently awesome, I hope he does some when I get the cash !!! I've been to Maton, pretty cool place, Perry's friend is probably going to move up the luthierie tree there in a few years like Andy Allen (Maton's Custom Shop Luthier) did!
-Guitars-
Epiphone Les Paul Jr

-Pedals-
Marshall VT-1 Vibratrem
DigiTech Hot Head Distortion
DigiTech Digital Delay

-Amps-
Kustom Dart 10
Quote by excaliber9
Yeah, Perry is right, there isnt much here on Oz...
Perry's course is apparently awesome, I hope he does some when I get the cash !!! I've been to Maton, pretty cool place, Perry's friend is probably going to move up the luthierie tree there in a few years like Andy Allen (Maton's Custom Shop Luthier) did!

way to bump a 4 year old thread.