I'm currently considering subjects to take at college for A levels in UK. I'm not really sure what kind of career i want to be doing in life, but like most of you guys i would love to be doing something related to music, like sound engineering or something. The one thing i would love to do is to play and release music with a band that can go places, but i know the chances of that happening are pretty bad. So I'm thinking of trying to form a band in college while taking subjects that can help me should the band thing fail. I have an interest in engineering, so I have settled on maths and physics. I am also considering psychology cause i find it interesting as well.

However, i wanna know if the music technology A level would really help in like getting a job at a studio, or anything music related, or could i just learn stuff like that on my own?
I'm mostly self taught in guitar, and i can barely sight read.

Thanks for any advice given, really in a dilemma.
Quote by jj1565
what type of music do you play?

if you play mostly bees in a box music then go wt the MG
if you play transformers, more than meets the eye, then Spider.

I think having the certificate to say youve done the Music Tech class would help when someone is looking to hire you. Sounds interesting.

As for engineering, I dont know how A Levels work, but for IB they want nothing less than Higher level physics and maths. Of course, further maths wont hurt :P

As I said, I do IB so Im not as familiar with A Levels. How many subjects do you take? Is English required, or another language?
you dont really need to know much math or physics to be a sound engineer although it can help depending on the situation. if your doing live sound you would need it a bit more but if your just in the studio you dont really need it...the most important thing is signal flow in ANY case.
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
I've been told in any job in the music industry it's about who you know that'll get you a job. So, whilst learning to be a great sound engineer or something, make sure you're getting in touch with people who do this, there's plenty of small studios out there. Get in places like that, make friends, make connections. Same goes with the band thing, get your name and face out there, and give yourself more options.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
Definitely get english, maths, and a science or two.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by albinokrikit
you dont really need to know much math or physics to be a sound engineer although it can help depending on the situation. if your doing live sound you would need it a bit more but if your just in the studio you dont really need it...the most important thing is signal flow in ANY case.

I'm sure physics would be one of the most essential subjects if you want to do Sound Engineering
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
If you're interested in engineering. I'd definately take further maths and physics. If you have the option, choose both mechanics modules. Taking Further Maths will also help with physics. Thats 3 options, so you've just got one left. Why not Music or Music Tech?
Quote by Dookie92

As I said, I do IB so Im not as familiar with A Levels. How many subjects do you take? Is English required, or another language?

I can take up to 4 subjects, english is not required but can be taken as another subject.

Quote by Wednesday Bass
If you're interested in engineering. I'd definately take further maths and physics. If you have the option, choose both mechanics modules. Taking Further Maths will also help with physics. Thats 3 options, so you've just got one left. Why not Music or Music Tech?

I am interested in engineering somewhat, but more into music. I dont have any grades in music, and from what i know music tech needs at least the ability to sight read fluently and some keyboard basics, both of which i dont really have.
Quote by jj1565

i should point out that im going to a trade school for this across the pond so not everything is the same...it would definitely help to know physics its just not essential. although the signal flow thing still applies.
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
^
at the risk of sounding like a noob, whats signal flow?
Quote by jj1565

As an A level student who studies Maths, Physics and Music Tech, I say you should take it. It's really easy if you know what your doing and a lot of fun. You get taught lots of stuff about recording and mixing etc and will probably be a huge advantage on your CV if you wanna work in a studio or something. We practically spend half of our lessons in the studio so you'll know your way around it pretty well. And don't worry about not knowing enough about music, two of my friends take it and they couldn't tell you a C# minor from a trombone and they still passed the first year.

EDIT: Though it wouldn't kill you to learn the very basics of keyboard playing and music reading (as in what notes do were) you should learn them anyway if you have anything to do with music.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Last edited by El Hilliaro at Oct 29, 2009,