Hey guys

I'm really confused about this and I want to clarify it, what elements in music make it a metal core band? And dont say 'the hardcore sound'. I mean what is it in the music that differentiates metal from metal core? And when does a band cross the line from metal into metalcore?
The hardcore sound.

Now get the fuck off my internets.

*edit:
Exhibit A: quitting smoking doesn't agree with me.
Last edited by misanthropy_inc at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by misanthropy_inc
The hardcore sound.

Now get the fuck off my internets.

*edit:
Exhibit A: quitting smoking doesn't agree with me.

I think I already told you in another thread.

But, you're a dick.

And to answer the question, you wont get an answer in here. Best just quit while you're ahead. Maybe ask in the hardcore forum?
Quote by Butt Rayge

But, you're a dick.

And to answer the question, you wont get an answer in here. Best just quit while you're ahead. Maybe ask in the hardcore forum?

But, you're my hero.
It's those really generic riffs which are always in x minor, where 'x' denotes the lowest string. Eg, drop d, drop c. The riffs i'm talking about is where it will be like *chug* *note on a-string* *chug* *note on a-string* etc etc. Usually they might throw a few triplet "gallops" in there too.

Then of course there are the dreaded open note breakdowns, which seem to be thrown in there JUST to make the whole thing even more generic and annoying.

Metal becomes metalcore when the breakdowns go from heavy riffs to single note chugging, and when the riffs themselves are all straight 4/4 mixtures of chugging and minor-key picking.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

metalcore
break it down
it's a mix between metal and hardcore
it's basically the mood and feeling of angry fast hardcore music
with metal riffs and metal music
thats basically what it is but athabasca is right about metalcore today
Quote by Athabasca
It's those really generic riffs which are always in x minor, where 'x' denotes the lowest string. Eg, drop d, drop c. The riffs i'm talking about is where it will be like *chug* *note on a-string* *chug* *note on a-string* etc etc. Usually they might throw a few triplet "gallops" in there too.

Then of course there are the dreaded open note breakdowns, which seem to be thrown in there JUST to make the whole thing even more generic and annoying.

Metal becomes metalcore when the breakdowns go from heavy riffs to single note chugging, and when the riffs themselves are all straight 4/4 mixtures of chugging and minor-key picking.

But there are so many bands on the UG 'metal core' list that don't sound anything like that.
whiny,post-hardcore singing/ hardcore screaming
Drop tunned chugging with the odd hammer on pull of notes between
Melodic patterns more reminescent to post-hardcore and emo music.

I assume you are talking about metalcore like Atreyu etc but metalcore can also refer to crossover thrash,sludge metal and grindcore. The difference being these bands are rooted in metal, not hardcore.
To be honest there's a lot of hypocrisy in this forum. LOG, Killswitch Engage,Trivium, Shadows Fall, All that remains and Unearth are current metalcore bands that are based in metal, and are metal but are banned for not being metal enough, yet now Rammstein,SOAD and Slipknot are allowed here, despite not being metal at all. TBH, this place is a little over the top/slightly wrong when it comes to defining metal. If you want a better source, check if they are on www.metal-archives.com.
Last edited by true_bacon22 at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Athabasca

You just described a lot of death metal.

I'm pretty sure you can't have a scale in the key of "drop d, drop c". The way you described that is also used in melodic death metal. Playing in 4/4 will not make you metalcore either.

Typically, to me at least, it seems like metalcore is just melo death with more poppy clean vocals, and a different way of dressing.

Quote by true_bacon22

yet now Rammstein,SOAD and Slipknot are allowed here, despite not being metal at all. TBH, this place is a little over the top/slightly wrong when it comes to defining metal. If you want a better source, check if they are on www.metal-archives.com.

Actually, they're allowed here I'm pretty sure because of a lack of traffic in the nu-metal forum. It's easier to keep those bands in here than in a separate forum. And to say those aren't metal at all is a bit silly of you as well.
Last edited by icaneatcatfood at Oct 29, 2009,
For someone claiming to be a Doctor of metal you know nothing about it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Who puts the Core in Metalcore?

We Do, We Do.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link