I use a 4 string fretted bass, but I tune down a lot to B F# B E and for the low B I use a string with a 125 gauge - the other 3 strings are all standard medium gauge ( 85, 65, 45)

What I would like to know is, if I wanted to play anything in standard tuning now and then, would it be possible to tune that big-ass B string up to an E or would that put too much tension on the neck? (Or on that string)

I was thinking it may be easier to get a second bass to leave in standard tuning...

What do you guys think?
Last edited by ImaginaryEvil at Oct 29, 2009,
why do you use a 125 gauge string anyway?
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
you can tune up, but once you tune down again you strings will lose a lot of quality
Quote by War_Demon
why do you use a 125 gauge string anyway?

I did explain but that's ok

Because of the low tunings that I use. Anything less than a 125 gauge string is just too "baggy" to be tuned down to B
Having a second instrument for alternate tunings is the way to go if you can afford it
Quote by Iain.Peters
Guthrie Govan. 'nuff said.
Quote by ImaginaryEvil
I did explain but that's ok

Because of the low tunings that I use. Anything less than a 125 gauge string is just too "baggy" to be tuned down to B

now I feel stupid
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Quote by lordrcceaser
Having a second instrument for alternate tunings is the way to go if you can afford it

Quote by nesveikuolis
I second the second intrument.

Well... I can't really afford it (in fact I'm extremely broke right now lol) but that's never stood in the way of music for me

I have got an Ibanez TCY10 guitar that I could part-ex for a new bass, but I hate to part with that one...
Which also opens up the question... if I get an additional bass, do a get a fretted or a fretless? What do you guys recommend?
You could certainly tune your .125 string up to "E," but the extra strain on the neck might be just enough to throw off you intonation. If that happens, it probably wouldn't go back to proper intonation just because you tuned back down. You would need to tinker with your bridge, and that's not something you can do on the fly between songs at a gig. A second bass is really the only viable option.

As for fretted or fretless, would a fretless suit the music that you do? How is your finger accuracy? Can you play a fretless properly intonated? If you aren't well versed with fretless playing, I would suggest a fretless with fingerboard lines. The other thing to consider is that on average, fretless basses cost a bit more than do fretted models, so if your budget is an issue, you might want to hold off on a fretless for a while. Then again, you can often find very good fretless basses for sale used at great prices because the shops know they don't sell as well as their fretted brothers and sisters. They'll usually be willing to deal on a used fretless just to get it out of the shop.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Oct 29, 2009,
I wouldnt put it past a .125 gauge string to break or mess up the neck if you tuned it to ... if you even tried to tune it to E.

Anyway, keep that one in drop B if you want, another bass is definitely the easiest way to have them both even if you have to save up a bit first.

If the fretless would be a practice only bass and your willing to make the choice ... i cant see why it would hurt. But its got the potential to not please you so just be sure about it beforehand.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Last edited by Thegian at Oct 29, 2009,