i have been learning scales. i have gotten the pentatonics (all ov em). also other majors and minors. Now What.

somehow i have the idea that i should go through them all at once. i could also do a scale with selected notes. or should i keep the key in mind.

i am totally lost. i don't know where to go with it. HELP!!!
Quote by Maynard James Keenan

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion
Last edited by padfootpak at Oct 29, 2009,
I think you probably want to have a look into some theory into how the scales come about and what their function is. Then you will properly understand them and be able to use them far far more effectively.
After you know some basic theory, start using it to pick apart the solos from your favourite bands/songs and work out why they sound as good as they do and try an incorporate those things into your playing.
The whole "scalez p4tterns metronome theoryz0rs" attitude of UG simply does not help you (and it doesn't help anybody). I'm glad for you that you discovered this pretty early.
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
The whole "scalez p4tterns metronome theoryz0rs" attitude of UG simply does not help you (and it doesn't help anybody). I'm glad for you that you discovered this pretty early.

dont get what you mean?
Quote by Maynard James Keenan

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion
Now What.

The answer (always) is make some music.

Scales are groups of notes that work well in certain contexts - if you know all your pent/maj/min scales then you should be finding it easier to construct melodies and move around the fretboard. Spend some time enjoying and improving this.
Quote by padfootpak
dont get what you mean?

He's saying that simply knowing scales doesn't actually help, you also have to learn how to apply the knowledge you have to an actual musical situation if they are to be of any use to you whatsoever.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Find yourself a backing track from youtube or somewhere and use a scale in that key to make up a melody over it - so if you get a backing track thats in A Major use the A Major scale or the A Major Pentatonic scale over it. If you get a backing track in E minor use the E minor scale or the E minor pentatonic scale over it.

Then learn to harmonise the scale by stacking 3rds, so you can come up with your own chord progressions to play over
Learn how to use those scales you learned into your style of music. Improvise with them.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Learn how to use them effectively. Come up with a couple of chord progressions and start soloing over them, trying different ideas out. Branch out, experiment.

In my opinion the whole concept of "learn this scale pattern, then this one, then this one, then this one" is a bit backwards. Learn how the music works as a whole, and then just play, you won't go wrong.