I'm looking at Charvel Guitars, they seem to be what I'm looking for, but one thing worries me and that is that the necks are unfinished. Heard of problems with warping with unfinished necks, maple in particular. How big is the risk? They're made from quartersawn maple if that makes any difference.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
What Charvel do is 'finish' the neck with an extremely thin layer of Linseed Oil to give it some sort of protection. But mainly, your natural oils should seal the neck. Over time, the dirt gets in, it looks great, and it's DEFINITELY yours! It's like the age old rule, if you lick it, it's yours!
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunatly, it kills all of its pupils.
I want a guitar where as long as I pick it up again within 5 seconds of dropping it it's still good
TS - You won't have a problem with a Carvin neck warping. It's a high quality neck from a high quality guitar. It should be fine mate.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^TS was talking about Charvels, not Carvins.

I stripped the finish off my strat's neck and used tung oil as a kinda sealer...it feels a lot faster, than the sticky cheap lacquer that Squier use. Very comfortable to hold too.
Thanks for the answers, I have now decided to buy a Charvel San Dimas. So I guess I will take the risk and buy it even though the neck is unfinished, apart from that it has all the features I'm looking for.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Finishes should have little effect on the warping of necks- unless the finish you use is titanium concentrate.
Charvel makes great guitars their necks are of a high quality.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Mazzakazza
^TS was talking about Charvels, not Carvins.

I stripped the finish off my strat's neck and used tung oil as a kinda sealer...it feels a lot faster, than the sticky cheap lacquer that Squier use. Very comfortable to hold too.

Woops, that's what I get for commenting when I've just woke up!

Charvels are great too though, I've never had a complaint with a warped neck on the older ones that I've played...so I'd say the risk is minimal.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

I've had my unfinished maple neck San Dimas for 20 years now, no problems yet. ;-)
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; but Today is a Gift; That is why it is called The Present.
Unless you live in the tropics and have to deal with the monsoon season every year, your unfinished neck isn't likely to warp. Also, "unfinished" does not necessarily mean "untreated." Most manufacturers use some sort of stabilizer / sealer to keep the neck from warping. If the neck is truly unfinished, your biggest worry would be dinging it, since it would probably cause splinters rather than just a ding. Unfinished necks - even those that have been sealed - will collect dirt and oil stains, though. Some people like this, while others do not. Unless you like the look of EVH's "Frankenstein" guitar's neck, get something with a solid finish.

And if your neck were to warp, all is not lost. Charvel (or your local luthier) could just pop the neck and put it in a heat press for a while to take the warp out of it.
I personaly would get a Charvel, i trust Carvine parts with my life and they are very high quality.
Quote by FatalGear41
Unless you live in the tropics and have to deal with the monsoon season every year, your unfinished neck isn't likely to warp. Also, "unfinished" does not necessarily mean "untreated." Most manufacturers use some sort of stabilizer / sealer to keep the neck from warping. If the neck is truly unfinished, your biggest worry would be dinging it, since it would probably cause splinters rather than just a ding. Unfinished necks - even those that have been sealed - will collect dirt and oil stains, though. Some people like this, while others do not. Unless you like the look of EVH's "Frankenstein" guitar's neck, get something with a solid finish.

And if your neck were to warp, all is not lost. Charvel (or your local luthier) could just pop the neck and put it in a heat press for a while to take the warp out of it.

Even then, the guitar I picked up in Korea (which has a horrendous monsoon season) had an untreated neck and is still perfect. Things have improved a lot stability wise, in the last 40 years.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
Even then, the guitar I picked up in Korea (which has a horrendous monsoon season) had an untreated neck and is still perfect. Things have improved a lot stability wise, in the last 40 years.

Wood is wood, and it didn't become naturally more stable over the last 40 years.

TS - You want some kind of sealer on the neck. It doesn't have to be "finished", but it should be sealed so it doesn't absorb moisture or release moisture.

If you take a piece of wood, seal one side and don't seal the other, it will check or warp. One side of the board will absorb or release moisture while the other won't. Not good. With a neck, you have one side covered/sealed and if you don't have the back sealed, it will check or warp when there's a change in the humidity of where the guitar is.
Quote by rchiav
Wood is wood, and it didn't become naturally more stable over the last 40 years.

TS - You want some kind of sealer on the neck. It doesn't have to be "finished", but it should be sealed so it doesn't absorb moisture or release moisture.

If you take a piece of wood, seal one side and don't seal the other, it will check or warp. One side of the board will absorb or release moisture while the other won't. Not good. With a neck, you have one side covered/sealed and if you don't have the back sealed, it will check or warp when there's a change in the humidity of where the guitar is.

He means neck manufacturing has had improvements that make it less likely to warp. Things like improved truss rods and laminate necks have made them a lot more stable. 5-piece laminate neck is a lot more stable than a one-piece neck (Charvel doesn't use these).