hello all :-)

I got my brand new Bugera 1960 amp yesterday and took it straight down the Jam room for a play with the band, so as there is limited info available on these amps as of yet (not many people have them yet because they just came out) i thought i would post on here my first impressions of the amp after one evening of playing with it :-)

The amp is advertised at 150w but that is peak power which converts to slightly over 100w rms, not sure why they do that, as its misleading, in fact they nearly lost a sale cos i did NOT want a 150w amp - lol!

Basically its a clone of a marshall plexi 1959. I havnt played a plexi, so i cant comment as to how close to the original this comes, but i can say that it does sound VERY nice. Glassy highs/mids and tight bottom end. There is a TONNE of natural valve compression on this amp even turned down low, so you dont need a lot of gain on whatever pedal your using for distortion (i use the blackstar ht pedals).

Im running this with the inputs jumped, as it was intended to be, so i have a bass volume and a treble volume - its strange to get used to as you cant just turn up the master volume (which i may have added to it as a mod) but it just takes a bit of practise.

One thing i have found is I need a lot less gain on my pedal to get sustain as this amp has tonnes of it available (sustain).

I play metal/rock and this thing works beautifully for that when teamed up with the blackstar pedals.

Im a happy bunny

peace

Gray
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Oct 29, 2009,
Pics?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
pinapple dude, i will post some pics as soon as i can, but i lost my camera phone so ill have to dig out the prosumer ;-) but i will do it, as i would like to post pics of my crazy effects rig anyway - lol

Swamp ash, do you relly think a tube upgrade will make much of a difference? Dont think i can afford to do that just yet. I would also like to upgrade the cab im using, its a cheap peavey valveking cab (i had a VK head before this, still have it incase anyone is interested for £160).

So which first, new cab or new tubes? im thinking new cab first personally.

peace

G
but swampash, the VK cab is cheap and nasty, im not sure replacing the cones would be as effective as replcing the whole cab. the construction of the cab makes quite a difference to the sound.

so you reckon to swap out the pre-amp tubes? hmmm... interesting.

I just did a search and found out mullards ecc83's are expensive, about 35/40 quid each and I need 3 of them. I dont think ill be upgrading very soon, thats a lot to fork out when i have only just bought the amp, i think i will play it for a bit and when i feel the need to improve it ill change the tubes and upgrade the cab or cones.
you wont be dissapointed matt... i was blown away by how a 350 auid amp can sound this good :-)
i'm really considering picking up this head someday in the near future if it's really good, some sound clips and more thorough review would be helpful
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by matt s
yeah I'm ordering the 1990 in the next week im so excited.

I ordered the 1990 head and 4x12 cab on Saturday from GC. The cab shipped but the 1990 head is backordered until 1/4/2010.

I can't wait to compare it to my buddy's Marshall halfstack.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
You might want to hit it with a Tubescreamer to thicken the mids a bit. All the demos I've heard of it have more of a scooped sound than a proper Super Lead.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by matt s

Oh, don't do it!!!

1990 is one of the worst amps I've ever heard....
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
^ That's because it's based on one of the worst amps ever made.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ That's because it's based on one of the worst amps ever made.

You know, I've played a few 900s and as long as you keep the volume high (like, really high) it doesn't sound too bad. The same can't be said for the 1990.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
If it's a Mark III then it's a great amp, but the Dual Reverbs I really don't like, even at higher volumes.

To each his own.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
If it's a Mark III then it's a great amp, but the Dual Reverbs I really don't like, even at higher volumes.

To each his own.

I personally dig the SL-Xs the most.

I've gotten usable tones from the DRs, but it certainly wouldn't be my amp of choice.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
^ I kind of consider the SL-X not a 900 since they gave it extra tube gain stages instead of the diode clipping. It sounds much better that way - thicker and more saturated.

I know the MK IIIs don't have diodes either but they're more of an 800ish sort of sound.

Quote by hippyheaven1
but swampash, the VK cab is cheap and nasty, im not sure replacing the cones would be as effective as replcing the whole cab. the construction of the cab makes quite a difference to the sound.

You're right TS. The VK cab is crap.
Quote by matt s

I had 2 1990's go bad in 4 months. Needless to say I don't own one now. I have a 333XL that has been played about two hours, I want rid of now. Good luck.
Bugera 333XL
Ampeg VH140c
Last edited by DW# at Dec 22, 2009,
No pics?

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
slash_rocks2005 - My band will be recording a new demo in the next couple of weeks, so I will post a soundclip of my sound when we do that. You said a more thorough review would be helpful, but im not sure how i can be more thorough - what is it you would like to know?

Bobdetroit, the sound of the valveking cab is quite good with the 1960 running through it. Granted, they are not the best cones in the world and the cab construction leaves a lot to be desired (which is why I would never upgrade the cones in it), but as a "get me by" solution, it works well. I will definately upgrade this cab to a marshall 1960a or similar in the near future tho.

I will post pics of my rig later in the week, prob thursday :-)

peace

G
nice review thanks for sharing
ESP EC-Clockwork Zombie
Ibanez RG2EX1
B.C. Warbeast 1 (my first guitar!)
ENGL Fireball 100
god damn i want a 1960 so bad =[

i won't be able to purchase tubes soon though
morkeg, you wont need new tubes for the 1960 - the stock tubes sound GREAT!

oh btw, my jam last night was cancelled, so i didnt get a chance to take pics of my rig, will post some on monday
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Jan 7, 2010,