Obviously I'm new to this.

Basically when I sing, it sounds flat and hollow, like I'm missing the notes, how do I make my voice more...smooth and stuff? Like make it hit the actual note.

If I play the c major scale on my guitar, (starting at 3rd fret 5th string - 1st position?) I can do the do re me and then it gets to shit.

Advice?

Sorry if I haven't posted enough info, as said, am new.
the space between mi-fa is a semitone, as opposed to the tones between do-re and re-mi. This can cause tuning problems if you don't watch it.

Also, you need to gain familiarity with your voice. Playing scales slowly and matching the pitch with your voice is a good way to start.
Thanks, but how does that help with my problem? sorry could you explain?
just be careful between me- and fa cause its a hard one. tune your voice to your guitar and pay particular attention to that interval. its gonna take some time and practice to get it all together/.
To me it sounds like you have a problem with resonance. When you sing a higher note can you feel it resonating in your nose and/or face? If not you have a breathing/technique problem.
Just to let you know though, the difference in one's passage/cavities in their face is a lot of what makes different voices. Some people naturally get better resonance. A lot of it is technique, but for example I have a very small nasal passage so it's harder for me to force a note to resonate there and when I do, it doesn't sound as full as someone who has a more clear passage and can sing equally well.
You need to very analytical when it comes to your singing. recently I read a book on technique which improved my singing a lot. It's very hard to explain these kinds of things because it's not the least bit visual.
It will take a lot of trail and error. But basically, try humming with your mouth closed, feel those vibrations in your face? If you're not getting that from high notes, you need to work on your technique until you are.
Quote by KurdtStaley

It will take a lot of trail and error. But basically, try humming with your mouth closed, feel those vibrations in your face? If you're not getting that from high notes, you need to work on your technique until you are.

tips for this?

I am trying to get myself to sing around people other than my band mates.. I have serious confidence issues..

Anyway, I find I'm a little flat at times too. Could you go further into this resonance in your head thing?
Hmmm I do this thing where I make a sort of quacking sound, and get higher each quack (sirening) and I know when I'm doing it right because if I pinch my nose the sound deadens?

Trying some cursory humming I notice that I'm hardly resonating. Also I sort of feel like I'm not getting enough...supply to the note? not enough air going into it and not even volume coming out??
I'm afraid I'm guilty of not really having a clue what you're asking - I thought you were on about flat notes, but I think you mean a "flat" or dull singing voice. What you need so, is resonance. One particular resonating chamber is your hard palate. You achieve this by raising your soft palate, which is the muscle(or something) that blocks your nose when you swallow. No sound should come out your nose, hence the sound shouldn't deaden when you pinch it. You should practice raising your soft palate.
Quote by Declan87
I'm afraid I'm guilty of not really having a clue what you're asking - I thought you were on about flat notes, but I think you mean a "flat" or dull singing voice. What you need so, is resonance. One particular resonating chamber is your hard palate. You achieve this by raising your soft palate, which is the muscle(or something) that blocks your nose when you swallow. No sound should come out your nose, hence the sound shouldn't deaden when you pinch it. You should practice raising your soft palate.

Perfect! Thank you.
You mean the sound shouldn't change at all when I pinch my nose? :S not even quieten alittle?