Hello Guys, ma band is getting better and better but in our new songs, some parts are clean parts and the JCM 900 SL-X is a single channel monster, I really like its gain, plus I use a Bad Monkey as a solo booster, but... how can I archive a clean sound? My main guitar is not very sensitive with volume knob to clean the amp maybe because i set the gain at 18 ( **** that, spinal tap!) so...... theres any way to get a good clean sound? a cheap clean head? a preamp? mods?......... i dont want to spent more than 400 euros unless it'll be vital necessary.

I dont want to admit that but... sometimes I miss my Spider Valve
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Adrian89 at Oct 29, 2009,
Firstly then, I suggest you replace the volume pot in your guitar; a better tapered pot makes all the difference when rolling back the volume for a cleaner sound.
If that doesn't work to the extent that you need, I suggest you buy another booster pedal, but a more straightforward one, like the Carl Martin Hydra. Put that in the effects loop for your solo boost. Roll down the gain on your amp a bit and use the Bad Monkey as a set-it-and-leave-it gain booster. When you need a clean tone, you should be able to turn the Bad Monkey off and roll your volume down.
It's important to pay attention to your dynamics as well; volume down on the neck pickup and make sure to pick quite softly; it can make all the difference.
it just the volume pot that is really bad? its a 1200 USD guitar..... I tough its just the amount of gain on it, preamp cranked at 10 and sensitivity around 18...
TH3 G3Ar
I'd pick up an amp second hand and A/B it if you can. Don't know what you can get for 400 euros though.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Expensive guitar or not, a bad pot's a bad pot; you'd be surprised at how many manufacturers skimp on pot quality.
Even if a new pot doesn't quite work, it's definitely worth trying and it seems to me that if the volume on your guitar isn't doing much, the pot's the most obvious thing to check.
Quote by dudey5691
A good volume pedal would be a substitute for the pots RockPig mentioned. He has the right idea, though.

Good point.
Expensive guitar or not, a bad pot's a bad pot; you'd be surprised at how many manufacturers skimp on pot quality.
Even if a new pot doesn't quite work, it's definitely worth trying and it seems to me that if the volume on your guitar isn't doing much, the pot's the most obvious thing to check.

the prob with volume pot is the amount of clarity thar comes when you turn down it, its cleaner, yes, but clean like a OD'd clean, not a clean, dont know if it's really a bad pot or Just the amount og gain that I use
TH3 G3Ar
drop down the gain and buy an Ibanez Tubescreamer... I sold mine because it was the exact same distortion I was getting with my JCM900
A/B to a 1970's silverface fender super twin/twin reverb
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Adrian89
the prob with volume pot is the amount of clarity thar comes when you turn down it, its cleaner, yes, but clean like a OD'd clean, not a clean, dont know if it's really a bad pot or Just the amount og gain that I use

In that case, the problem's probably the amount of gain you're using.

Try the pedal idea I suggested earlier then, which is probably the most cost effective solution I can think of.
The trouble with a 900 is that it gets muddy when you use the volume knob method. What I've done with mine, because I had exactly the same problem as you, is to get a dedicated clean booster and an EQ (Boss GE-7/Dano F'n'C will do) and boost it twice and shape the tone a bit with the EQ, works a treat for me.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey