Hey guys, umm.. im writing this new song and this isnt my first but it is my first song with a solo and im a bit confused.

Well heres the thing.

the chord progression goes like this.
And now im kinda confused as to which scale to use.

e|-----------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------|
G|-----------------------------------------|
D|--------------2-----------------------0--|
A|--5-----5-----2-----5-----5-----5-----4--|
E|--3-----2-----0-----3-----2-----3-----5--|

I need the sound to be energetic. Not too happy, not too sad.
So wat scale can i use ?
Just give me all the possibilities to chose from.
Oh btw the genre is Hard Rock.
G/E pentatonic
Jackson SLS MG(EMG 81/85)
ENGL Sovereign 100 watt 1x12"
Boss gt-8
Vox AD50VT
Next: Custom Explorer
G major or E minor pentatonic
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
the "045" isnt in GMajor... it has a C#in it. He'd have to take that out or use Eminor and change the progression.
What you could do is either change that chord or change the progression and it would fit into another scale properly. The thing is to be properly in a scale you typically start on the
2 E
2 B
0 E
and use an Eminor to solo over it. The thing with scales is starting on the Tonic is important. The Tonic in Eminor is E.
Last edited by mtgold83 at Oct 29, 2009,
y not use g major or e minor and change mode depending on what chord the rhythm is on
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Im not sure he knows theory well enough to do that. otherwise he wouldnt be askign this I do not think. and asking a novice in theory to do that and do it efficiantly is hard. Though we could explain to him how he could do it I find the best way to do it is learn theory and practice using it while improvising or through trial and error of what you know.
to mtgold83 it is true that it has a C# in the progression but in my opinion try throwing it into an E minor improvisation and it gives the solo a little style and flare compared to sticking with straight theory.
Quote by boreamor

People
should
smile
more

No problem. Hey seriously though you could learn theory easily or take it in High school or college. Or even learn it through wikipedia.
Yea i think ill seriously start learning the theoretical part of playing.. cuz i can play well enuf to be able to shred. but i dont know much of making solos and improvisation.
well charlie the thing is i never 'stick with just theory' when writing im just saying its good to know =/. What i typically used to do is make a song with my ears and then check over it and revise with theory but that isnt something i'd assume he could do and im not trying to put down on him or anything I am just simply saying as a beginer stick with the stuff you know works.

Yea parzan i feel you. To be honest I can only play so much but i've learned so much theory and can improv a pretty okay piece while playing. My play speed and accuracy isnt up to par with my theory yet. Though I can like sit with my composition paper and write a pretty good song, hear it my head and know what its gona sound like when played correctly.
ahh sorry mtgold it just sounded like you were one of those who thinks lets follow theory and only use this scale for this piece and it will be amazing, my bad
Quote by boreamor

People
should
smile
more

Quote by mtgold83
the "045" isnt in GMajor... it has a C#in it. He'd have to take that out or use Eminor and change the progression.
What you could do is either change that chord or change the progression and it would fit into another scale properly. The thing is to be properly in a scale you typically start on the
2 E
2 B
0 E
and use an Eminor to solo over it. The thing with scales is starting on the Tonic is important. The Tonic in Eminor is E.

No it isn't. Unless you are just talking playing a scale from the root. When improvising you'll tend to resolve to the tonic to make the solo sound complete, but starting on the tonic is not necessary.

TS, as Isaac_bandits said, use D.