I told a friend I would teach her how to play, but I'm not sure what to start with. Everyone I've tried to introduce to the guitar so far seem to get frusterated/bored with the base chords. Are there any easy songs, or any other things I could work on for the first few lessons?
whatever you want to start with, open chords for example, is fine. Just remember to keep relating it to the music that she is interested in giving examples of how her favourite artists use whatever you are teaching in their songs.
good luck.
Teach her the chords G Em C and D and then show her how to use a capo, there's literally a million songs she would be able to play with just that. That should get her interested for a while to which then you can move on to more complicated stuff.
when i first started off (im self taught) i learned basic songs that i liked first before i got into chords to help me build up a little speed and learn how to pick the strings properly
sunshine of your love
iron man
smoke on the water

3 songs that i used to noodle about with at first then i got into chords and scales
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

my first question is...what do you want to learn....i get the response...Rock..Jazz Blues...etc...then have to get the definition of what that means to the student...which is almost always different than mine....

i useally start with showing some easy blues licks and 3 chords...and give a short demo of the possibilities of what can be done with such basic material..from john lee hooker to jimi ... some Stones flavors and a bit of country...same licks same chords...

i give an estimated practice time and wide range learning curve to them and say they could be playing something close to this in X months...if they practice X hrs per day...

the reaction goes from.. It will take THAT long to do THAT....to....I can do THAT in x months-wow...

i then suggest other teachers for those that want to be shred masters by next Sunday

play well

wolf
also ask the student what kinda music they are into, they will enjoy it more if they are learning songs they know and like
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

Get a book. If she's music illiterate and just wants to learn guitar to play gay shit, just teach her chords and a few scales. If she's actually serious about guitar, teach her everything you know.

I would recommend, however, no matter what type of student she is. Begin with telling her to practice this:

e l-0--1--2--3--1--2--3--4--2--3--4--5--3--4--5--6--4--5--6--7--l....and so on until she reaches the 12th fret, then go back. then make her do it in all strings (this helps her hand losen up and getting used to moving fingers individually. Make sure she presses the frets correctly and keeps her fingers down as she plays every next fret. When she can do all strings with a decent sound, or at least a decent control, make her do chromatic scales in first position (1-2-3-4 in all strings) going up and down. Then take it up a notch by alternating the 1-2-3-4 thing, by making her play it 1-3-2-4 on all strings. Then teach her major scales. The movable ones are ok at the moment.

Also, look at her picking while she does all this. Make her start with just down picking. Make sure every time she picks it hits the string below (not playing it, just resting on it). Do the same thing with up picking after she has the down picking down, making sure every time she picks up, it hits the string above, not playing it. After that, make her do up and down picking.

After shes good with her finger movement, teach her the major and minor chords. She'll probably give up on learning any more after this.
Quote by TheSound
Also, look at her picking while she does all this. Make her start with just down picking. Make sure every time she picks it hits the string below (not playing it, just resting on it). Do the same thing with up picking after she has the down picking down, making sure every time she picks up, it hits the string above, not playing it. After that, make her do up and down picking.

It is horribly inefficient to move your pick to the next string after doing a stroke. It will also often result in unwanted sounds from the next string. When picking, one should move only as much as necessary to get the string ringing.
Quote by pwrmax
Teach her the chords G Em C and D and then show her how to use a capo, there's literally a million songs she would be able to play with just that. That should get her interested for a while to which then you can move on to more complicated stuff.

I just recently ran into the same problem teaching a friend, and I ended up teaching him those same 4 chords. He's already playing 2 songs that he likes to listen to, so he's hooked.

Works like a charm...
Quote by isaac_bandits
It is horribly inefficient to move your pick to the next string after doing a stroke. It will also often result in unwanted sounds from the next string. When picking, one should move only as much as necessary to get the string ringing.

Actually, as you're starting, it's good to practice this way so you learn how to dig in for a harder tone. When you get better at it, it's unnecessary to do it, and if you actually put a little effort into your picking technique, touching another string with your pick will not produce any sound at all.