Hi ...

For a while now I have been trying to find some info on this.
Some of my questions were answered by Google, but I still have a few questions.

- How do the music charts work (the UK and US charts for singles, albums etc) :

Well I found out that its all based on record/single sales, so the more the sale the higher
the artist moves up the chart. But the thing im confused about is , very often you hear an Artist's new album has debuted at no 1 the day it released. How is that possible ? i mean if its all based on sales, surely an album cant just hit the stores and go to no 1 on the same day.

- What is the point of it all ?

Does having an album thats at no 1 have any advantages other than publicity and the money thats coming in through sales (if the charts are determined by the album sales that is).

Will having a no 1 income spawn other sources of income ?
It's based on album sales within a certain period, not total.
If not, you'd still have lost of Beatles albums topping the charts, still.

And, no I don't think it spawns any other sort of income.
they only count sales for that week.

so on monday (or whatever day the chart starts on) they'll only have the sales for the sunday count and then they'll do a temporary chart.

but it's not official methinks until you get to the end of the chart week.

It could spawn some other income such as sponsorship due to popularity, but you could easily get that if you had an overall presence i.e. it wouldn't be dependent on you getting a number one.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 29, 2009,
the charts are based on how many downloads or record purchases are made within a week and then they are generally published on sundays
hmmmmm.....im still confused ...i mean ...for example when Death Magnetic came out ...it debuted at no 1... which literally means ....it went to no 1 the day it released ...how is that possible ?
Music charts are NOT based on sales at all. Charts are pre-determined. To think otherwise is horribly naive.
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Horlicks
Music charts are NOT based on sales at all.

Bullsh.it

The UK Album chart is weekly album sales - including downloads.

The singles chart is the same but for singles.

The advantage is that songs in the charts get more mainstream TV and Radio airplay which acts as further publicity as well as generating royalties from the broadcasters playing the songs.
***Short Sig***
I always wondered if buying used CD's count. I don't think they do...
Simon Cowell masturbates on a piece of paper, and however his sperm landson gets the job

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Last edited by Zero-Hartman at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
The charts are based on whoever is blowing Simon Cowell this week. [/truth]

The download chart is stupid because it dosen't take into account illegal downloads. The positions of people in the chart would completly change if they took this into account
Quote by inlovewithmusic
hmmmmm.....im still confused ...i mean ...for example when Death Magnetic came out ...it debuted at no 1... which literally means ....it went to no 1 the day it released ...how is that possible ?

it sold more on the first day than other albums did.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
[quote="'[= Tom ="]']Bullsh.it

The UK Album chart is weekly album sales - including downloads.

The singles chart is the same but for singles.

The advantage is that songs in the charts get more mainstream TV and Radio airplay which acts as further publicity as well as generating royalties from the broadcasters playing the songs.
Deny all you want, but it's the truth.
Notice how practically no-one had heard 'I Got A Feelin''' when it was first at #1 in the charts? Notice how every year at least one ABSOLUTELY AWFUL song gets #1, and you think ''How can anyone be buying this?'' These songs are PRE-DETERMINED TO BE #1 IN THE CHARTS.
Quote by Horlicks
Notice how practically no-one had heard 'I Got A Feelin''' when it was first at #1 in the charts? Notice how every year at least one ABSOLUTELY AWFUL song gets #1, and you think ''How can anyone be buying this?'' These songs are PRE-DETERMINED TO BE #1 IN THE CHARTS.

He has a point. in order to have stock, stores must buy the album from whoever. These count as sales.

Quote by element4433
Quote by Horlicks

so how does that pre-determining happen ? I mean ....if its all based on sales ...do record companies create fake sale records ? .....and whats the advantage of doing it ? publicity?
Ok for the actual Billboard 200 its based on sales from Tuesday to Monday, why do you think the official music release day is on Tuesday. You have to remember that sales means how many were sold by the record company not the actual retailer. This means an increased number of sales because the retail companies believe that those cds have great potential. The singles(Alternative chart, hot 100, etc..) is based on airplay i believe. So the more the song is played on the radio the higher up it will be.
MY gear

Carvin DC 200
Crate GLX 200h
Monster Cable Rock
Dunlop Stubbys 3.0
MIsfits Skullbusters strings