Basically i have been learning about reading notation the very basics to understand the rythm of a piece from tab books ect, i understand the basics but i have come across something i am not sure what it is or how to play it, i cant find an example online so the best i can desribe it as is 2 tied 8th notes with a 16th in the middle of it sorry if this isnt a good explanation its the best i can describe it as.

thanks in advance, danny
Is it a tie or a slur? I know people that confuse the two.
i am unsure the 8ths are tied together at the top and the 16th is in the middle, basically from what i hav learnt so far if you have tied 8th it would be strum up and down so if there is a 16th in the middle this would mess up the pattern no? sorry if this is something very simple i just cant seem to get my head around playing it.
ive searched on the internet but cant find anything like if on any site, i have come across it in a few tab books though. i will keep trying to find something on it and post a link or image.
Term: Grace Note

its basically a note that is fretted, but not necessarily plucked but still slightly sounds
but it just generally doesnt get counted into the bars value
Last edited by Martindecorum at Oct 29, 2009,
^If it was a grace note, an acciaccatura, then it would be much smaller than the other notes and have a line through it.

TS, it's most likely a slur. Play it legato, or hammer on/pull off.
Quote by 12345abcd3
^If it was a grace note, an acciaccatura, then it would be much smaller than the other notes and have a line through it.

TS, it's most likely a slur. Play it legato, or hammer on/pull off.

It was an acciaccatura according to his link.

TS, just play the small note, and quickly hammer on to the next note, and the two together should equal an eight note. You pick the sixteenth and not the eighth. The sixteenth should be considerably shorter than a sixteenth normally is, and the eighth will be shortened by the length of the sixteenth.
Quote by isaac_bandits
It was an acciaccatura according to his link.

TS, just play the small note, and quickly hammer on to the next note, and the two together should equal an eight note. You pick the sixteenth and not the eighth. The sixteenth should be considerably shorter than a sixteenth normally is, and the eighth will be shortened by the length of the sixteenth.

Where is it on the page, i can't find it?
Quote by 12345abcd3
Where is it on the page, i can't find it?

It appears near the top of the second and third pages of the preview.
That's an eighth and two sixteenths joined together, not tied or slurred. You would probably strum down-up-down, with the up-down portion being twice as fast as the first down.

Also, there are no grace notes that I see on that page... ???
Quote by isaac_bandits
It appears near the top of the second and third pages of the preview.

OK, I see it now.

Just acciaccaturas, basically play the small note as quickly as possible then move on to the next note (the grace note will take up some of the time of the note after).