Page 1 of 2
Hey all! This is mostly for newbie's, who, like I did, and still do, have alot of frustration, and are downhearted at their progression as a guitar player.

I've been playing on and off for 2 years now...and its only recently I have really been able to advance. The way I've done this is just through alot of research online...I also have had a buddy of mine, who plays showing me some things, but most importantly, I set goals, and a schedule, and worked specific things. I find that this "organizing" has worked wonders for me (it won't be for everyone, as i'm sure you'll read below) but I just wanted you all to know there is hope! Now, it seems like every hour I put into playing, really show's...and I can really see progression from day to day.

So keep at it! And stay positive...and maybe think about a way to organize your playing, to help maximize your time with the guitar.

Be good! Will
Wants: PRS Starla
How about giving an example of an "organized" practice session. Add an example of what types of goals you set and how you achieved them, and then how you set new ones.
Quote by Commodor 64
How about giving an example of an "organized" practice session. Add an example of what types of goals you set and how you achieved them, and then how you set new ones.

Okay sure...I'm sure there will be alot of guys hacking on what I do, but thats to be expected, lol.
Well I started out with a few songs I liked (Sabbath's Iron Man, Audioslave's Like a Stone, and Chili Pepper's Tell Me Baby) which have easy area's to pick at. I was not into chord's, as they were hard, and boring. Well this got me nowhere. So, through some research...I realized I needed chords...and needed to learn strumming patterns, and instead of "bouncing around" with songs that are simple, and watching crap on Youtube, I had to focus on these basic elements first. It takes such little time to get good at things, if you specifically work THOSE things. Now, like I said, this may be obvious to some, but for us "lost souls" its a revelation.

I found setting a timetable (10 minutes with chords, 10 minutes with chord changes, 10 minutes with strumming, and then 20 minutes applying them to songs I can work on) really put me in the right direction.

Anywho...again, i'm no genius, or guitarist, lol...but this is working for me. Thanks, Will
Cool, cool. I wasn't asking to be a prick, I was asking because I find myself int he same situation as you, except I had learned open chords first. I still need to work on strumming patterns for sure. I need to learn strumming patterns and arpeggios though. For example, I can do all the chord changes for Dear Mr. Fantasy, but it sounds like ass...because I think it's mostly arpeggio. Similarly, I can do the chord changes for many CCR and Neil Young songs, but they sound like ass because I have only random strumming pattern abilities.

These days, I do some finger exercises, try to learn some scales, and then try to play songs I like such as Iron Man, Paranoid, Fear of the Dark, Powerslave, The Trooper. But mostly I learn a couple riffs and fills and then end up pissing around with those. I, too, need some organization.
Quote by Commodor 64
Cool, cool. I wasn't asking to be a prick, I was asking because I find myself int he same situation as you, except I had learned open chords first. I still need to work on strumming patterns for sure. I need to learn strumming patterns and arpeggios though. For example, I can do all the chord changes for Dear Mr. Fantasy, but it sounds like ass...because I think it's mostly arpeggio. Similarly, I can do the chord changes for many CCR and Neil Young songs, but they sound like ass because I have only random strumming pattern abilities.

These days, I do some finger exercises, try to learn some scales, and then try to play songs I like such as Iron Man, Paranoid, Fear of the Dark, Powerslave, The Trooper. But mostly I learn a couple riffs and fills and then end up pissing around with those. I, too, need some organization.

No, thats totally cool man! I just find on here, you get alot of US, complaining about how hard it is, or that we're not moving forward fast enough. And I thought, hey, let's do a positive thread, and give some idea's for moving in the right direction. Sounds like you are doing well. The best piece of practice advice I got was...don't practice what you can already do. '

All the best, Will
I started out being really diligent about organizing and doing strict practicing routines and such. I did that for about my first 5 months or so. After I learned more theory like how scales and chords work and appear on the fretboard, I've been pretty much doing more improvising than anything. I still take some time to learn songs that I want, but more often than not I'm just jamming. I take a lot of stuff out of songs that I learn and use it to do whatever I want with later. I incorporate all those techniques like string skipping, hammers and pull offs, sliding, double stops, etc etc. I think I'm making just as much "progress" now as when I did it more strict, and its a hell of a lot more fun. The only thing that might be a problem is I get stuck on certain beats or whatever you want to call it for a couple days until I do something else interesting.
Last edited by big_aug at Oct 30, 2009,
i did the sme thing! looked for tabs that were easy because chords would take forever haha i just started learning chords and strumming patterns.
would be amazing if people put the strumming patterns on the tabs/chords! i have to spend hours looking for the pattern which is really not helping like.

my goal is to play a metallica song :P but right now i am trying to learn a few different songs from jason mraz to smokie!
Quote by big_aug
I started out being really diligent about organizing and doing strict practicing routines and such. I did that for about my first 5 months or so. After I learned more theory like how scales and chords work and appear on the fretboard, I've been pretty much doing more improvising than anything. I still take some time to learn songs that I want, but more often than not I'm just jamming. I take a lot of stuff out of songs that I learn and use it to do whatever I want with later. I incorporate all those techniques like string skipping, hammers and pull offs, sliding, double stops, etc etc. I think I'm making just as much "progress" now as when I did it more strict, and its a hell of a lot more fun. The only thing that might be a problem is I get stuck on certain beats or whatever you want to call it for a couple days until I do something else interesting.

I agree man...I mean, after my "scheduled practice", I have what I call open time...almost like a reward for sticking to my schedule, where i do whatever I wanna do. Like I said...we all learn differently...but I just wanted to post a thread where we can all share positive feedback.
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how you're learning! Awesome bud! Be good, Will
Quote by turnthepage.x.
i did the sme thing! looked for tabs that were easy because chords would take forever haha i just started learning chords and strumming patterns.
would be amazing if people put the strumming patterns on the tabs/chords! i have to spend hours looking for the pattern which is really not helping like.

my goal is to play a metallica song :P but right now i am trying to learn a few different songs from jason mraz to smokie!

Yeah, I felt the same way...but once you kinda get a few chords, the rest seem to come easier. Sounds like you're doin' good man...stick to your goals. As far as strumming goes...i've seen a few threads on here regarding that...but good luck, lol.

Be good bud! Will
haha thanks! ya i work pretty hard at it. i now no a whole 8 chords lol. i know i know jealous right :P
yeh i've been checking them out and it seems they have every pattern for every song except the one you actually want
Quote by turnthepage.x.
haha thanks! ya i work pretty hard at it. i now no a whole 8 chords lol. i know i know jealous right :P
yeh i've been checking them out and it seems they have every pattern for every song except the one you actually want

LOL...8 is good man! The pattern thing sucks...and will be another hang up for me too. Ah well...it's all still wicked fun! lol.
Quote by weewilly79
No, thats totally cool man! I just find on here, you get alot of US, complaining about how hard it is, or that we're not moving forward fast enough. And I thought, hey, let's do a positive thread, and give some idea's for moving in the right direction. Sounds like you are doing well. The best piece of practice advice I got was...don't practice what you can already do. '

All the best, Will

You really should practice what you can already do, otherwise you won't get better at it and you are likely to get worse at it. Other than that though, you are spot on IMO. To see improvements in your playing ability you should have goals and have focused, well organised, practice sessions to meet those goals.
Just to add to the positivity, I've been advancing really fast lately, and i bought a new guitar yesterday. I basically do the same type of thing as you but without schedule. I just sort of know what I wanna practice. I had been working on chords and chord changes for like the last six months and I'm a fairly competent rhythm player now so I'm moving on to finger picking stuff. I started with a hand full of chords from a couple of Beatles songs and just practiced the changes over. That's pretty much all I do really, I'll find a lesson for a song on youtube then just practice the chord changes a bunch. youtube has helped me a ton, I never used it til a few weeks ago, and I find it very helpful to actually watch how someone else is playing a song rather than just reading the music or worse, looking at some shitty tab. music/tabs don't really help you very much with strumming patterns and shit like that. real music at least has time, but tabs are just pure shit. and "listening to the song" to find the rhythm really isn't as effective as people make it out to be. were not playing a piano, there it would be perfectly effective, but there you can't manipulate the keys in odd ways, not so much the case with a guitar.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
You really should practice what you can already do, otherwise you won't get better at it and you are likely to get worse at it. Other than that though, you are spot on IMO. To see improvements in your playing ability you should have goals and have focused, well organised, practice sessions to meet those goals.

Yeah once you learn to change say between A, D, and E you need to keep practicing those changes just less often. If you quit altogether you will lose gains. Plus once you get to be able to play the chords in a song from start to finish you may think you're good with those, but then later on you'll probably think your technique could get better.
At least that happened with me. I learned I've Just Seen A Face and Things We Said Today (should have gone with something easier) by the Beatles starting out. Once I could play and sing them that's all I wanted to do. Later on once I got a bit better I realized I was playing the songs in rhythm just fine, but my chord changing was somewhat sloppy so the songs didn't sound as clean as they could.

Things We Said Today is actually a great song to learn after you've gotten a couple under you belt. The verses are retardly easy, but the chorus and bridge have some more difficult chord changes like C7 to F to B flat which will improve your skills.
Quote by turnthepage.x.
Try Enter Sandman (without the solo) - you might be suprised how easy it is!

One tip I got pretty early on is to record yourself regularly - that way you can hear your progress over time, and when you're having a bad day you can look back at your earlier recordings and remind yourself you have actually come a long way
Awesome tips all! Wow...it's great to hear progression, and how you all have done it! Recording myself...dunno if I can handle that...but i'll give it a try!
You guys just made my day. A positive guitar thread was just what I needed to lift my spirits up! I just bought a guitar and am learning from ground zero. I keep getting the elitist vibe from people that have played a long time or have been in certain forums for a long time. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels frustrated.
Quote by KurdtStaley
were not playing a piano, there it would be perfectly effective, but there you can't manipulate the keys in odd ways, not so much the case with a guitar.

Manipulate the keys in odd ways? I'm not so sure what you mean, anyway the notes and rhythms will still be the same.

Contrary to popular belief, almost every technique there is on guitar has a way of being notated in standard notation. The thing you have to remember about notation though, is that its concerned with the actual notes (as sounds) and not the technique used to get those notes.

...but sure, all the sounds you can get from guitar can be notated and then transfered to most other instruments, so I don't understand what you mean.

Also, I totally agree with this thread, organised practice is more effective than random noodling! As long as you have some time to play around/improvise at the end.
Quote by zhilla
Try Enter Sandman (without the solo) - you might be suprised how easy it is!

One tip I got pretty early on is to record yourself regularly - that way you can hear your progress over time, and when you're having a bad day you can look back at your earlier recordings and remind yourself you have actually come a long way

hey thanks for that.i'll definetly give it a go like. a mate of mine is doingthe day that never comes and it meant to be eaasy enough!

ya i record myself playing! gives me a better perspective and i know what i need to improve on by picking out the faults so its handy!
Quote by MzMickeroo
You guys just made my day. A positive guitar thread was just what I needed to lift my spirits up! I just bought a guitar and am learning from ground zero. I keep getting the elitist vibe from people that have played a long time or have been in certain forums for a long time. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels frustrated.

that frustration will last a while :P but there is no better feeling when you learn a new chord or you can finally change from one to the next quick enough!just hearing the sound will be a huge boost and will make ya feel like your kirk hammett even though its only the basics
Hey all...just a POSITIVE moment of the week for me, lol. FINALLY conquered the D-chord!!! I know I know, that doesn't sound all that exciting, but if you saw my stuggles with this chord, you'd be jacked!
Still good to hear all of your positive results...and yeah, have a thread that doesn't have an elitist attitude!
Keep 'em comin'! Will
Great thread. I wish I had this when I first started playing.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
haha well done on the D-chord!
i finally learnt g-sus :P it was extremely difficult for me to get the hang of that.
still having trouble with the strumming patterns tried listening to the song to get an idea but its hopeless
Quote by turnthepage.x.
haha well done on the D-chord!
i finally learnt g-sus :P it was extremely difficult for me to get the hang of that.
still having trouble with the strumming patterns tried listening to the song to get an idea but its hopeless

LOL...as pathetic as getting stuck on D sounds, I was. Patterns are so tough....still avoiding that
This thread reminds me of the days when I used to struggle with the F chord haha!

Been playing 4 years now and I still have so much to do in the solo'ing side of things.
Quote by False_God
This thread reminds me of the days when I used to struggle with the F chord haha!

Been playing 4 years now and I still have so much to do in the solo'ing side of things.

lol...the bad ol' days huh? I guess it doesn't matter where you're at with the guitar....you're always trying to conquer something.
Quote by weewilly79
lol...the bad ol' days huh? I guess it doesn't matter where you're at with the guitar....you're always trying to conquer something.
Thats half the fun - there's always something more to learn
havent played all week :O how dissapointing like!
but know almost 20 chords now. trying to find new songs to play along to.

hey D chord is pretty hard dude!dont dismiss it. every little helps
playing the guitar can be frustrating when you're looking at the short term problems you're trying to fix, but long term, it's so rewarding it'll change your perspective on everything else.
I find by the end of my practice session, i'm like, crap, I didn't get anywhere. But, as soon as I pick up the guitar the next day, I realize the progress.
Ok guys I sorta need some help. Because when ever I play guitar I usually end up my playing the stuff I already know or learn how to some play some instead of actually practicing some thing that would help me. I can play some songs but not the solos and know a few chords and little to no scales. I need to become more organized or discipline because I always get off track. Im currently learning how to play Bourrnee in E minor and I am making some progress. Ive been getting lessons from the begging of this year and I have actually seen progress as far as playing songs, but I also want to start to make my own songs and stuff since I know this one dude that wants to start a band, and I want to be in it, and he said I could but I don't know much about song writting.
See what the outcome is when your band has a jam in A major or C minor or something.

I really like this thread, considering I got kicked out of the recording forum for not recording with mics.
[img]http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/10/24/633604588429325324-annoyance.jpg[/img]

Billy Mays is definitely gonna give me nightmares now.

Quote by xxGUITARZER0xx
honestly no

but i just did the pallet town theme song cause someone wanted that

Quote by speakers
all of the above
Quote by Spykerwolf
Hey guys just wanna say I really admire this thread, and it's good to know there's people like myself going through ups and downs but i think i broke through a barrier or something, because I enjoy playing guitar everyday now

Thats a good place to be man! You gotta love it, and just work at it. We all go thru ups & downs I think...but just try to keep the downs brief, lol. I always think, if I miss a day or two, that i'd be that much better if I hadn't skipped practice. Make myself feel guilty, lol.
Hehe

I searched "Guitar Frustration" and stumbled upon this thread.

I've been playing for a bit over a year now and have had more downs than ups lately (mainly on the creative side of things).
Anyhow, this has really lifted my spirits. Thanks

Rock on
Mike
So hey all! Let's keep this thread going...and here some more positive results! Mine...for now are, I finally got an electric, and an amp, and am LOVING it! I know alot of people say you should learn on an acoustic...but damn i'm having fun! lol.

*Goal by the end of spring* Easy transitions.
*Goal by the end of the year* Learning how to do some recording.

Let's hear what you're up to all! Will
Don't wait til the end of the year to record - get yourself a 1/4"-1/8" jack adapter (cost about £1.50) and a copy of audacity (free) and start recording now - you'll hear loads of stuff in your playing that you normally miss, so its easier to work on stuff, and you can look back on recordings that are a couple of weeks/months old to get a major confidence boost, as you'll be able to tell how far you've improved
Quote by zhilla
Don't wait til the end of the year to record - get yourself a 1/4"-1/8" jack adapter (cost about £1.50) and a copy of audacity (free) and start recording now - you'll hear loads of stuff in your playing that you normally miss, so its easier to work on stuff, and you can look back on recordings that are a couple of weeks/months old to get a major confidence boost, as you'll be able to tell how far you've improved

So I just download that program...and plug into my.............laptop? And record?
So...i'm seeing some more down-hearted guitar heroes out there. Fear not fella's! We're all in this together. We all have those moments...but its how you get through them that'll determine how far you go with this.

Just play until your fingers bleed...and then play some more!
So i'm back, and feeling positive! lol. I got my new Ibanez rocking lately, getting some lessons, and moving along much faster than ever! Makes those DOWN moments seem funny now. Can't wait to start messing with pedals and what-not. How 'bout ya'll...any good feedback, recent breakthrough's?

Let us hear 'em! Cheers, Will
Page 1 of 2