I'm going to have a NAD shortly and I need a way to record clips. I have a mac but I don't have protools. What should I buy?

As you can tell, I know close to nothing about recording.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Don't macs come with Garageband? I have very limited use with it, but it will work.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
sorry to threadjack..but does anyone know what i cna use to record me covering some stuff? My HP laptop has a webcam, but the sound quality will drop in and out, sounding really good then real squealy and irritating

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
They do, but that has nothing to do with my purposes. I want to know what to buy to get the sound from my new amp into a good sounding recording.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
They do, but that has nothing to do with my purposes. I want to know what to buy to get the sound from my new amp into a good sounding recording.

You mean a mic? You said protools... That is just a much nicer version of Garageband. What exactly are you asking for?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I said protools because I thought that's what most people use for recording. I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

Let me start over.

I need a way to record clips for my amp. What do I buy?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

to put it really simply -- this:

guitar -> amp ->dynamic mic just off the centre of the speaker cone (move it around a bit for different tone) -> audio interface (the m-audios work fine) -> garageband (i don't know how to use it, but shouldn't be too hard)

hopefully that gave you all the info you need.. I need sleep now.. 'night.
Quote by Ibbod0

guitar -> amp ->dynamic mic just off the centre of the speaker cone (move it around a bit for different tone) -> audio interface (the m-audios work fine) -> garageband (i don't know how to use it, but shouldn't be too hard)

That would be a proper recording set-up... If you just want to put up clips for us to hear the amp then just buy a computer mic and go straight into Garageband. Its not gonna be pro quality but it will be fine for hearing the tone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Ibbod0

So if I got an SM57 and this and plugged it up to my computer with garageband I should be fine?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
So if I got an SM57 and this and plugged it up to my computer with garageband I should be fine?

Ya, but that's as far as my knowledge goes... Any issues beyond that and you'll need someone else's help. Maybe go to the 'Tone Testing Thread' and ask Mark G... He is the most knowledgeable person I know of when it comes to recording set-ups.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by fly135

So does this basically eliminate the need for any type of audio interface then? I don't mind buying the interface and another mic because having an extra SM57 around is never a bad thing. But if buying an interface as well as a mic is a waste I'll get this. So what would ultimately be better?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
I'm going to have a NAD shortly and I need a way to record clips. I have a mac but I don't have protools. What should I buy?

As you can tell, I know close to nothing about recording.

you're mac will work good with what it comes with but I suggest Reaper. it's a much better DAW it's doesn't cost you much and it has lots of great features.

EDIT:

what you need is a good DAW (reaper) a interface (M-audio M-box is great a bit spendy though. definitely some of the best quality sound though) and your SM57. from there you plug your SM57 into the interface and your interface into your computer. set your computer so it gets the signal from it and click "arm track" in reaper and click record. you're ready to go.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by VoodooCow229

You're going on the right track but you're looking at the wrong type of interface. Instead of the midi interface I think you'd be needing one that has an XLR input. So something like this or this
This probably sounds stupid, but what does DAW stand for....?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by azn_guitarist25
You're going on the right track but you're looking at the wrong type of interface. Instead of the midi interface I think you'd be needing one that has an XLR input. So something like this or this

I have to get something that expensive?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation

you need one. even with a interface. an interface is nothing more than a sound card basically.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by VoodooCow229

*cough* Computer mic with freeware. *cough*
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by VoodooCow229

Not really this could also be suited to your application and it's somewhat cheaper.
Quote by tubetime86
*cough* Computer mic with freeware. *cough*

*cough* that sounds like crap *cough*

Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
*cough* that sounds like crap *cough*

Then my knowledge is of no use here...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Send me a friends invite, might be easier if we just chat this over on Meebo. I also replied to your PM.
WTLTL 2011