I want to change the fretboard on my fender delonge strat.

It has tons of fretwear, and has been professionally re-fretted...but still doesnt feel the same.

Where can I purchase a new fretboard for it? Not necessarily the same one, but one that will fit it right.

suggestions??
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
You can't get a new fretboard, not realistically anyway. A professional luthier could change the fretboard for you but it's a huge task and would cost more or less the same as getting a whole new neck from somewhere like Warmoth. You might as well just go with a new neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
warmoth.com ----> you'll find here a neck for you, these necks are very well made.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
A re-fret shouldn't have made the fretboard feel any different. Did the repair shop use the same size and style of frets as the originals? A drastic change in fret size or fret style could make things feel very different.

I agree with the others. There is no advantage to replacing a fretboard on a Strat or Strat clone unless it is your absolute dream guitar and you cannot bear to part with it. A new neck is going to be a faster and cheaper option under any circumstances. You can even pick the fretwire and fret size to make sure it is the same as was on the original neck.
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Oct 29, 2009,
I know for this situation it seems the guitar has a bolt on neck, but what would you do with a guitar with fret wear that isn't a bolt on neck? Just time to buy a new guitar at that point?
Quote by greyman21
I know for this situation it seems the guitar has a bolt on neck, but what would you do with a guitar with fret wear that isn't a bolt on neck? Just time to buy a new guitar at that point?

I mean, I've only ever heard of someone needing a new fretboard once and that was because a huge chunk had come out of it. Most necks get refretted and that's the end of it. The frets probably just aren't the same kind as you had before.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It just doesnt have the same frets as the original. Taller/shorter/wider whatever. A new fretboard is gonna need frets so it may not feel the same either. I wouldnt advise anybody to PAY for a fretboard replacement as it isnt cheap, more than a new neck probably.

Best bet is to fire off an email to fender and find out the fret specs then get those put in it. If you are tearing them up fast then it might be good to look at stainless. Alot of techs wont install em tho.
Quote by greyman21

i think, instead of a refret, you got a level and re-crown (changing the feel of your neck, because there is less fret there.) and you want a refret, on ANY guitar bolt-on, glue, or magic when the frets are worn down you need to get a level and crown, if there is not enough fret left for one then you need a refret. its not a matter of your fretboard and most likely isnt your neck, it may need a setup now to feel right or maybe just replace the frets with the original size or bigger/smaller as dictated by your preference.
^There we go, I got it re-crowned.

Thanks for all your help guys
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.