I already have a 4 string fretted that I leave in a drop tuning so I want to get another bass to leave in standard tuning

I'm torn between a fretted and a fretless... which do you think I should go for?

Fretted would be great for learning slap, but fretless looks and sounds cool... pros and cons to both I guess....

Any advice or suggestions?
why can't you slap on a fretless? Claypool does it.

he's not exactly a normal bassist, but he proves you can.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Fretless basses are a blast, but how good is your finger accuracy? If you get a fretless without fretboard lines, your finger accuracy is going to have to be spot-on or your intonation is going to be hopeless. This is OK for a soloist (just a little bit, though), but in a band setting it is horrible. A lined fretless takes a little getting used to (you will have a tendency to think of the lines as frets and play accordingly for a while), but they are easier than an unlined fretless. Either way, a great many bassists add at least one fretless to their arsenal. For some, it sits in its case and almost never sees the light of day. For others, it becomes their main bass and they feel uncomfortable playing anything else. If you are still on the fence, try listening to anything by Jaco Pastorius. Five minutes of Jaco will send almost any bassist running to the music shop in search of a fretless bass. After that comes the hard part.
^if you play a fretted properly, you should have no problem.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

How long have you played? If your new dont get fretless... It takes time to practice.
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
Quote by ImaginaryEvil
I already have a 4 string fretted that I leave in a drop tuning so I want to get another bass to leave in standard tuning

I'm torn between a fretted and a fretless... which do you think I should go for?

Fretted would be great for learning slap, but fretless looks and sounds cool... pros and cons to both I guess....

Any advice or suggestions?

Fretless! And get flat strings on it so you don't destroy your fret board. I don't have one but I spent several hours playing a fretless one time and it almost made me wanna trade in my other Bass on it (tho I never would because it's my first bass) But DEFINATLY being your second bass, I'd so get a fretless.
^just poly the board and you can use rounds dude.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by FatalGear41
Fretless basses are a blast, but how good is your finger accuracy? If you get a fretless without fretboard lines, your finger accuracy is going to have to be spot-on or your intonation is going to be hopeless. This is OK for a soloist (just a little bit, though), but in a band setting it is horrible. A lined fretless takes a little getting used to (you will have a tendency to think of the lines as frets and play accordingly for a while), but they are easier than an unlined fretless.

This though is true...
Quote by the humanity

Really? Cause I like the sound with the rounds so much better. lol
The flats on a fretless make it sound a little too ...mellow... for my taste
GOOD roundwounds will kill your fretboard.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
^you are incorrect.
Quote by rythmXbass
Really? Cause I like the sound with the rounds so much better. lol
The flats on a fretless make it sound a little too ...mellow... for my taste

yup. certain woods, such as ebony, wear so slow you'll be fine for a good 20 years or something.

the standard procedure is about 5 coats. don't get the back of the neck though, it makes it all sticky feeling.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Well, it really depends on the gauge you're using.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
^ yeah, you'll be great.
Dawnwalker:
what?

explain that. you will always have a huge variation in gauges anyways. that tiny G string, the big fat E string...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
yup. certain woods, such as ebony, wear so slow you'll be fine for a good 20 years or something.

Or Pao Ferro. The Brazilians (or was it the Portuguese?) didn't name it "iron wood" for nothing. I prefer it, personally. Much more beautiful, and very growly.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
By all means, get a fretless if you like the sound. Just remember that it takes a little while to get used to (its not so bad if you get fretlines), but with a little good old fashioned practice, it wont be so hard at all. Whats your budget? Because that will have a huge impact on your options.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by the humanity
^you are incorrect.

the standard procedure is about 5 coats. don't get the back of the neck though, it makes it all sticky feeling.
What's the hardest out of ebony, pau ferro, maple and ziricote? I'm wondering what the best fingerboard would be for fretless and so far I think it's ebony, but...

And how does ebonol compare to tr00 ebony?
ebanol is fine just sounds gross.

and that would be a good question for GB&C.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Steve08
What's the hardest out of ebony, pau ferro, maple and ziricote? I'm wondering what the best fingerboard would be for fretless and so far I think it's ebony, but...

And how does ebonol compare to tr00 ebony?

Put it this way- ebonol is essentially the same as richilite, the stuff they make skateparks out of.

Ziricote is on average slightly less dense than ebony, ziricote being 880- 970kg/m3, and ebony being at 900kg/m3 to nearly 1100kg/m3.

Figured maple caps off at around 750kg/cm3, but unfigured maple will be denser than this IIRC.

Pau Ferro is a bit denser than rosewood, otherwise they are pretty similar. Pau Ferro is pretty easy to work with though, despite it's density, so I think the type of grain will have an effect on hardness but I'm not sure as to what degree.
Quote by the humanity
ebanol is fine just sounds gross

My fretted bass has an ebanol fretboard and everyone always comments on how great it sounds...
Quote by the humanity

what does it mean to poly the board?
Quote by ImaginaryEvil
what does it mean to poly the board?
Pretty much apply a few layers of polyurethane over the fretboard (or fingerboard in this case) so the wood will not be affected by the string type. I think it may change the tone a little, too.
Quote by ImaginaryEvil
My fretted bass has an ebanol fretboard and everyone always comments on how great it sounds...

Ebanol's not bad, just not as good as the real thing.

Also, I'm pretty sure the fretboard wood makes a bigger difference in tone on a fretless than on a fretted.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
Ebanol's not bad, just not as good as the real thing.

Also, I'm pretty sure the fretboard wood makes a bigger difference in tone on a fretless than on a fretted.

It should, as the strings are in direct contact with the fretboard.