Page 1 of 2
Hey all! Whats up...listen, I want us Canadian's to have our voice for our bands! Lemme know whats up, what you like, don't like, and whats new! If you're from Canada, and wanna post your stuff...give'r!
I'm gonna start with Three Days Grace. Damn good album (Life Starts Now) love Break, and the Good Life. Also check out the band My Darkest Days...they're from Norwood also, and are pretty damn good!

Cheers all! Go Canada Go! Have a voice!
Wants: PRS Starla
Matt Mays and El Torpedo made my favorite album of the year, I can't stop listening to terminal romance

it's sad el torpedo broke up, but he's already got a new band so
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Carswell98
Matt Mays and El Torpedo made my favorite album of the year, I can't stop listening to terminal romance

it's sad el torpedo broke up, but he's already got a new band so

Hey, thanks for posting!

Yeah, he started out real strong, but kinda lost a lil something. How 'bout the Trews? Similar...mellower rock. Damn, I like that band. The last album, with "Hold Me"...and then "Man of Two Minds"...shows how they can ROCK, and hold their roots too.

May not be your band, but I like 'em! Be good! Will
no problem, I actually came in here looking for a place to discuss canadian music

the tragically hip, sam roberts, hey rosetta!, mother mother, they are all good canadian bands that not many people talk about, not to mention the dozens of other really talented bands that I can't begin to list

I wish canadian music got a little more exposure internationally, but what can you to :/

Haven't really ever listened to the trews, I have heard good things though
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Carswell98
no problem, I actually came in here looking for a place to discuss canadian music

the tragically hip, sam roberts, hey rosetta!, mother mother, they are all good canadian bands that not many people talk about, not to mention the dozens of other really talented bands that I can't begin to list

I wish canadian music got a little more exposure internationally, but what can you to :/

Haven't really ever listened to the trews, I have heard good things though

Awesome man! Thats what I want too! I'm actually livin' in the States until next year...so hopefully this thread will catch on, and keep me, and all of us informed! Check out the Trews man...All three albums are great...some of it is overplayed at home...but keep in mind, that ain't the band's fault.
The Hip are God's...and Sam is awesome! I also dig Finger Eleven...and Default. Default seemed to sell out a lil bit...but I know those guys, and love their attitide. I'm as close to the Mexican border as you can get, and the radio station down here played some Our Lady Peace last week...so we're gettin' there!

Keep the posts comin' all! Will
Alright all you Canuck's...add to this thread! Lemme know whats up at home, and what you're listening to now! If you have a band, or a site you like, or anything, let's get it posted here!

Hoping to hear from my beer-drinkin' brutha's! Be good, Will
yea the arkells definatley had the best album this year IMO... alexisisonfire and billy talents new albums are crap IMO.. but canadian bands never get the recognition i mean look at the hip probably one the best bands ever but not too many yanks know aboot them
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Rush and Threat Signal are about the only bands i like that are from Canada.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Canada has some of the absolute worst bands (Nickelback, Three Days Grace, Finger 11, Simple Plan)

The TS seems to have an extremely stereotypical view of Canadians and likely believes that our troops are only peacekeepers and that Tim Horton's does not belong to the USA.

Canada also has some damn good bands (Metric, Broken Social Scene, Alexisonfire, Jets Overhead, Death From Above 1979).

The Montreal Indie scene is probably my favourite (how can it not be, with artists like Malajube, Karkwa, Arcade Fire, The Dears, A Silver Mt Zion) and going to Montreal for shows has always been one of my favourite experienes.

EDIT: I forgot to mention You Say Party! We Say Die! as one of the "damn good bands".
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Dec 7, 2009,
Not many canadians like billy talent then??

Im british and I personally love billy talent... they are huge in europe!

Sorry if this topic was just for Canadians but i was curious
Quote by Partysaftermath
Not many canadians like billy talent then??

Im british and I personally love billy talent... they are huge in europe!

Sorry if this topic was just for Canadians but i was curious

Billy Talent is terrible...
I'm sorry, they just are.
Favourite bands from here currently are Cancer Bats and Fucked Up.

Since this is a "modern rock" thread, everyone should check out Red Roses Black. Amazing band.
http://www.myspace.com/redrosesblack
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by -megan-
The Arkells !
Amazing new band from Hamilton, their debut album Jackson Square is fantastic. They are so talented ! My favorite songs by them are John Lennon, Blueprint, and Oh, The Boss Is Coming! I seriously suggest anyone who hasn't heard of them to check them out. They are absolutely brilliant. We Canadians are pretty awesome musicians.

+1
Quote by nashawa
Billy Talent is terrible...
I'm sorry, they just are.
Favourite bands from here currently are Cancer Bats and Fucked Up.

You're right. I'm convinced now.
What don't you like about them?
Last edited by toyboxmonster at Dec 20, 2009,
Don't listen to much Canadian music (not purposely) but I do like me some Tragically Hip, Neil Young, Patrick Watson and The Pack A.D. That's probably all though.

Maybe I should look for some good other bands. Anyone know some good alt-rock/modern rock bands (and I'm not looking for 3 Days Grace/Simple Plan etc )?

Any genre would do, actually. As long as it's good.
Rush is not only the best band from Canada, but the best band in existence. Remember that.
Some old rock bands from the early Rush era like Max Webster, Goddo, Triumph, April wine, Teenage head, tragically hip and carol pope. Nickleback?
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 22, 2009,
What about Sam Roberts? He and his band are really talented. He has such a great voice. He's still relatively young as well so I'm sure we'll get more great albums out of him.
Quote by sincenovember57
A lot of good music comes out of Canada. My personal favorite is a band call Mother Mother.

Saw them at the Matthew Good concert at the Cunard Centre a few weeks ago! They weren't bad at all.

Personal favourites are:

Our Lady Peace
Finger Eleven
Matthew Good
Crash Karma
Rush (Not modern rock but it's f*cking Rush, c'mon)
Agreed on The Trews, Matt Mays, The Tragically Hip, and The Arkells.

I've seen the Trews live three times, and they never fail to dissapoint.

Just out of curiosity, anybody heard of the Joel Plaskett Emergency? He's a musician based out of Halifax, and we all love him over here. :p

And another one, Tim Chaisson and Morning Fold. He's been playing universities over here on the East Coast, and I LOVE the band for some reason. Nothing really spectacular, but I really like their sound.
Schecterman's Accomplice, of the Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World Club. PM Fett13 or Your41Plague12 to join.

EQ:
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
Yamaha RBX170
Quote by frankv
Don't listen to much Canadian music (not purposely) but I do like me some Tragically Hip, Neil Young, Patrick Watson and The Pack A.D. That's probably all though.

Maybe I should look for some good other bands. Anyone know some good alt-rock/modern rock bands (and I'm not looking for 3 Days Grace/Simple Plan etc )?

You shoud definitely check out Arcade Fire, Frank. As before mentioned, they're ''pretty damn good''. Have no one to compare them with because I think they're the only Canadian band I listen to.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by toyboxmonster
You're right. I'm convinced now.
What don't you like about them?

They try sooo hard to be heavy, but they always fail.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
well im not canadian but im close iowa, a state away, 1 great export you gave my country was STUTTERFLY, O MAN those guys were great live, and wrote some catchy tunes, too bad maverick records kinda screwed them, like all rock bands they sign except the deftones
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
stan rogers is pretty much the most bad ass musician ever. go check him out now.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
stan rogers is pretty much the most bad ass musician ever. go check him out now.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (now i think they disbanded and are now part of A Silver Mt. Zion. Don't take my word for it though) Rushh, and Alexisonfire are all great bands. Along with City & Colour. Dallas Green from Alexisonfire sings and plays guitar. Very
Neil Young-esque. Stars is a very good indie-rock band. Sounds somewhat pop-py though.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by frankv

Chevelle? They're modern, but have to be the best out there; my personal favorite band along with AIC. Riffs are brilliant, vocals are awesome, lyrics are creative and original, can't complain about them. Alice in Chains? From the 90's grunge era, but they're still going strong. System of a Down? Red?

Now for Canadian bands....

mmkay, I despise Nickelback.
Rush=the pinnacle of all Canadian rock.
Three Days Grace-they're alright, but can be very repetitive.
Neil Young
James LaBrie from Dream Theater is Canadian awesome dude
I'm shocked no one has mentioned Protest the Hero yet. They are from Hamilton and are amazing. All of the members play the shit out of their instruments and kick major ass. Go check them out now.
They haven't been mentioned because this is a rock thread. I would have mentioned them if this was in the hardcore forum.

Also, The Weakerthans are badass.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Yes i agree, three days grace can get . . .VERY repetitive, they use the same tempo, tuning, and effects in all there songs, not much in the way of variation.

Oh and somebody said Billy Talent III was there worst album yet in this thread? . . .I disagree, i think its there best album by a mile, its great, especially rusted from the rain, white sparrows and tears into whine. Good canadian band :P
Death From Above 1979 is excellent. Other good Canadians bands to check out, though not modern rock, would be Hey Ocean! and the Holly Springs Disaster.
Quote by Past-time
Agreed on The Trews, Matt Mays, The Tragically Hip, and The Arkells.

I've seen the Trews live three times, and they never fail to dissapoint.

Just out of curiosity, anybody heard of the Joel Plaskett Emergency? He's a musician based out of Halifax, and we all love him over here. :p

And another one, Tim Chaisson and Morning Fold. He's been playing universities over here on the East Coast, and I LOVE the band for some reason. Nothing really spectacular, but I really like their sound.

Saw Plaskett and the Emergency open for Paul McCartney along with Wintersleep last summer. Both great canadian bands, I also love Sloan and Matt Mays, basically anyone from the maritimes. For anyone that likes like alternative-jazz or something "Les Paiens" are a cool instrumental band from Moncton.
You guys heard of Silverstein? I"m not Canadian, but they are, although they could be considered metal, so I don't know if they belong in this forum...
theres so much good canadian music right now i think. im really digging attack in black right, there kinda like folk rock, with a bit of punk. seeing them on saturday, should be awesome
Page 1 of 2