Dearest UG,

Because of the holidays, I've decided to buy Left 4 Dead this weekend, but I have a few questions...

I've read the system requirements found on the Left 4 Dead website and I have no idea if I can actually play it. I've looked at my system stuff on the control panel and it says this:

System: MW Xp
version 2002
Service pack 3

Amd Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
2.00 Ghz, 960 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

and the Left 4 Dead requirements are these:

Minimum:

Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Graphics: 128 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better
Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Recommended:

Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Graphics: Shader model 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

So i have no idea if i can actually play it....

ANOTHER QUESTION: Since I'm buying the game for PC, I've heard of this "Steam" thing and I was wondering if I have to have an account on Steam in order to play this game online. I was planning on buying the physical version of the game, but if i can only play online via Steam, I figured i should buy it off steam...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I HAVE A BAND NAMED FALLING CONFESSIONS
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

"When there's a freakin' will, there is always a freakin' way!"
You probably have to use Steam to play online. Steam itself is free. But shit, and crashes sometimes.

You're just about touching the min specs, you'll probably be able to run it well on lower settings. (although, actually, what graphics card does your comp have)
^steam is never crashing on my computer and I think steam is pretty cool

whats your graphic card?

yeah you have to have steam on your computer and crate an account
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

I don't know how to check... everything on my computer is standard

So i'm guessing I'll just have to buy it online through Steam?

Or can I buy the physical copy then get account on Steam?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

google can i run this, take the 1st link, pick the game and it should tell you how your pc will handle it.
tried that and my computer almost died...

Apparently my graphics card is this:

NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

You might wanna consider buying a graphics/video card for your pc.

Yes you can play the game, but not at it's highest graphic settings.

^

You need a steam account to buy and play it. It's free so no worries. If you bought a physical copy i think you need to download steam as well, but it's not large, and you have to do it for the orange box as well.

Well except the games, you have to buy those first.

And steam has NEVER crashed in the 2 years that I've used it.

Below V: There is an option in the "My Games" list that says "add non-steam game" But when i got the orange box hard copy, it automatically added to my steam account.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Last edited by osXtiger at Oct 29, 2009,
okay that's fine... not much a fan of good graphics anyway as long as its a good game...

So I'm still wondering if I can buy the Physical Copy of the game then go to Steam and get account and play it online

OR

Do I have to buy it through Steam to play it through Steam?

EDIT ^: Orange Box? So I hear that I can buy the physical copy and still play it through steam?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Last edited by Prodigy999 at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Prodigy999
okay that's fine... not much a fan of good graphics anyway as long as its a good game...

So I'm still wondering if I can buy the Physical Copy of the game then go to Steam and get account and play it online

OR

Do I have to buy it through Steam to play it through Steam?

If I remember right, you can buy the physical game then register it with Steam and you're good to go. Buying it through steam lets you play it without a disk though, which can be nice.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
If I remember right, you can buy the physical game then register it with Steam and you're good to go. Buying it through steam lets you play it without a disk though, which can be nice.

Ah okay I see. I might just do that then... so the game is like a download then? And you can take it anywhere?
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Just google steam and download it so you can set up your account and it'll be ready to run the game once you get it.

But a new video card will make the game run alot smoother and you'll get better resolution on your pc.
Just try the game like that. but just then if it's running to slow or laggy, then you should consider a new card.

But have fun dude
and also counter-strike: source was a fun game on steam. Anyone play that anymore?

EDIT: you have two options to buy games on steam.
You can buy it through steam and download it. or buy a physical copy and install/register it.

Last edited by LesZao at Oct 29, 2009,
arighty thanks guys
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

Quote by Prodigy999
Ah okay I see. I might just do that then... so the game is like a download then? And you can take it anywhere?

Actually if you have the physical copy, because it is a valve game and registers over steam, once its installed you can play without the disk.

Basically i got the disk because it cost the same at the time as the download, except it has come in useful when i had to reinstall it (and then didnt have to take ages redownloading it)
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77

Both ways let you play without a disk.

Basically, what happens is:

1. Buy through Steam
You buy the game using a credit/debit card through the Steam program, which is free (you will need an account, also free), you don't get a physical copy. You then download the game which could take a while depending on your internet. You then click play and you're in. Once you've bought the games they are locked to your Steam account, although you can play them on any PC you want as long as you're logged in and they're downloaded/installed.

2. Buy on Disk
You buy the game from a shop. You then stick the disc in, install it, which will take much less time than downloading. You let it get updates from Steam, which happens automatically, you then click Play, and you're in. You do not need the disc in after the game has been installed. Once you've bought the games they are locked to your Steam account, although you can play them on any PC you want as long as you're logged in and they're downloaded/installed.

There!
Also, your PC might run it, you might want some more RAM and a new graphics card though, if it doesn't run very well.
Above post may or may not be true.
your gfx card isn't good enough to play it, you won't be able to run it unfortunatly, the rest of your specs are great tho, buy a new gfx card and your set to go,

and buying a boxed copy or trough steam doesn't matter, you need to install steam anyway, I would recommend you to WAIT to purchase it,

the chances are low that you can run the game with your current gfx card BUT you can download the L4D2 demo in five days, so wait till then, try out l4d2 and see if it works:

btw generally the games are CHEAPER if you buy trough steam, there are also certain weekend deals at which you can buy the game at 50% price, wait for one of those to pop up

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>