Okay so u know you can get 7th,9th,11th,13 chords on the piano

well i know how to do 7th chord on the guitar.

but my question is like take the G maj13 chord. Is the possible to do on the guitar because humans have 4 fingers free to play on the neck and so the 1st the 3rd the 5th and the 7th notes are taken how do you add the 13th on the chord?

Thanks.

Sorry for my bad English since its not my first language thank you.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
When it comes to chords like that on a guitar, you frequently omit notes. I'd grab root, 3rd, 5th, 13th personally. Some people omit the 5th for 7th or 9th. It's preference or context really at that point though.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You don't play fully voiced 13th chords on a 6 string guitar, since that requires seven notes. Normally other instruments will cover some notes, and the fifth is often omitted in all the voices.

Typically you play the root, third, seventh and highest extension.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
When it comes to chords like that on a guitar, you frequently omit notes. I'd grab root, 3rd, 5th, 13th personally. Some people omit the 5th for 7th or 9th. It's preference or context really at that point though.

Generally, you almost never omit the 7th, and you often omit the root and fifth when playing such extended chords.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Generally, you almost never omit the 7th, and you often omit the root and fifth when playing such extended chords.

I mean, it depends on the context. When I played guitar in pit orchestra I frequently omitted the 7th because a couple other instruments were playing it and it made it easier to play the chord. If I were going to play a 13th on its own, I'd keep it in.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yes you have to omit notes, as there are only six strings. Unless you have a seven string tuned to some sort of crazy open tuning, it's really not possible.

A good way to play a major13 chord is like so: 1 7 3 6. In G, that would be fingered 3x445x. With the root on the A string (let's take a Cmaj13), it would look like this: x3x455
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri

If you want to play a 13th, never leave out the 7th, because then it's just a 6 chord. I mean, you can mark it as a 13th, but you need the 7th in there. The 5th/9th/11th are the ones you can leave out most comfortably.
Quote by food1010
Yes you have to omit notes, as there are only six strings. Unless you have a seven string tuned to some sort of crazy open tuning, it's really not possible.

There are actually some pretty easy fully voiced thirteenth chords on a seven string guitar in standard tuning. Not that any of them sound good.

Quote by fretboard12
In common practice the "most common" pitches present in V13 chord are the root, 3rd, 7th, and 13th; with the 5th, 9th, and 11th "typically omitted".Mostly used as a Dom. chord.

Typically you play a ♯11 over a dominant chord. Or you omit the third when playing the ♮11.
A 13th chord is almost never voiced with root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th. You can omit whatever you want, if you have the root and the 13th. But the most common voicing is root, 3rd, 7th, and 13th because it resolves nicely.
Wel, since you could never play all seven notes, you would most commonly play the root, 3rd, 7th, and 13th.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by itsjustcheeze
A 13th chord is almost never voiced with root, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th. You can omit whatever you want, if you have the root and the 13th. But the most common voicing is root, 3rd, 7th, and 13th because it resolves nicely.

It's not based on the resolution. Its getting the sound of a dominant thirteenth. You need the root, third and flat seven for the dominant sound, and the thirteen to make it sound like a thirteenth. Using the ♯11 in a V13 chord will also resolve nicely to the tonic, as the ♯11 (scale degree ♯4) resolves well to the 5 of the I chord.