lately i have noticed when im playing up and down strumming for example power chord strumming my plectrum keeps slipping and and ends up at a strange angle i have tried a variety of picks my usual dunlop tortex .73 to dunlop nylons with grip i can't figure out why it keeps happening. the way i pick when strumming is middle and thumb on the plectrum with my index finger resting on the top corner edge of the pick and when im picking notes i use only my index and thumb to hold the pick. any help with what i should do is appreciated as this is holding me back with my playing
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
id say its more than likely being turned by the pressure/weight of your index finger
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
i started picking like that but then realised you can pick so much better with just the index and thumb. no sliding around and can hit pinch harmonics all day
You should only use your thumb and index finger in my opinion. It makes it a lot easier in all regards, and you don't have to worry about three fingers at a time.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
I used to use 3 fingers, but my one friend told me to try out 2 fingers, but with a really opened up hand, and the amount of control I had was alot more than with 3 fingers.

Also, try thicker picks.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

after reading the OP, i'm shocked at how people can hold a pick like that. I thought there was only one way to hold a pick. But the way you described just seems absurd. I'd say the reason your pick keeps rotating is because you're holding it wrong.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
I get this at least once a day, i think its coz your hand is too slack when playing the power chord. It eventually gets slack after you play quite long peices. Sometimes it rotates. So just hold it a bit tighter i guess
GEAR :

Ibanez SA260FM
Burswood Strat Copy
Marshall GV-2 Distortion
Crate FlexWave 120 Amp

wrong.u shoudnt hold ur pick too tight.it creates undue tension nd leads to premature fatigue.u should hold ur pick between ur thumb nd index finger with a little bit of slack for it to wiggle
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

right bit of an update decided to give strumming with just my thumb and index finger the pick still keeps moving around alot i was thinking of getting some ibanez grip picks with sandpaper anybody else used these or would you say its more technique than the pick
they would help but u should really get your technique down rather than rely on a certain type of pick.my guess is that u are holding the pick too far out from ur hand nd ur losing grip
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

i dont leave much of my pick sticking out really i'll have to try get a video or a picture of how i hold the pick
heres how i hold it

ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

thanks thats pretty much how i hold it i'll just have to work on my technique a little see how that goes
the pick should nestle between the folds of skin where your finger bends at the first joint
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

sky walker you have the ability to reach the next level 4 you are close

hence your hands telling you summit

probably striking the chord from a diffrent string or ascending or descending patterns 4 the picking hand
practice luke practice
Try using a pick which has slightly raised lettering. I don't know if the ones you tried had this, but Jazz IIIs for example have it. I have similar problems with other picks (including the one I am currently using).

Although I should point out that for me this (the slipping) does not happen very frequently, so you may still want to look at your technique.