I have noticed Hess' stuff, and they're pretty much just advertising
19 45%
I haven't heard of them
16 38%
RAEG! ban hess!
7 17%
Voters: 42.
I have a bone to pick.

Many of you have probably heard of Tom Hess, a guy who claims to be able to turn your band into a success, with only a couple of lessons for a nominal fee.

He sometimes writes (or has students of his) write columns on UG, and they very rarely deliver crucial information beyond common sense, and always end with a link and blatant advertisement to his site.

Now I don't know about you, but a guy who uses UG to solely promote his own website isn't going to write a very detailed article, because if he did, then people would have no incentive of visiting his website and paying for his courses, because they could get great information for free on UG.

I think that Tom Hess should be banned from UG, and advertising his site in articles shouldn't be allowed. I'm very suspicious of the way soo many students of his supposedly think his lessons are awesome, post on UG or submit articles, almost as if they get a reimbursement if people say they were referred to Hess by them.
I know UG is a guitar site, and online teaching CAN work, but all of this seems too much like a pyramid scheme that is using UG instead of contributing to it.

What do you think about this?

EDIT: I may be completely wrong!! I fully admit this, he may really be an awesome teacher and such, and if you think I am wrong in my assumptions, tell me off and call me a piece of dickcheese.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 29, 2009,
I think you're lucky you're a rather popular UGer, or else you'd be banned faster than you could say "Tom Hess."
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Wow. I dunno about this one, man. I don't know this guy and haven't read his articles.
But 'mob-mentality' is just wrong.
If he's doing anything wrong, take it up with the staff, privately.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Wow. I dunno about this one, man. I don't know this guy and haven't read his articles.

Same. I have no idea what these articles are or who he is, but he might pay UG for the advertising, I just don't know.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

that's the thing, I don't KNOW if he's doing anything wrong, or if he pays the site, of if any users actually notice him as much as I do.

thus, I made this thread (poll coming)
Quote by CoreysMonster
that's the thing, I don't KNOW if he's doing anything wrong, or if he pays the site, of if any users actually notice him as much as I do.

thus, I made this thread (poll coming)
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

you misunderstood me, I just want to see if other users have been noticing him as much as I have, or if it's just all in my head, before I bother the russians with this.
I do think that his advertising is a little bit too much in the articles, but i also know for a fact that he is a great teacher. My gutiar teacher was a former student of his and so many things i learn from him i can tell he learned from Tom. So no, im not really a fan of his articles, but he IS a good teacher, thats for sure.
I haven't been browsing UG for too long, but in my time I've seen like one or two actual good informative lesson's by Hess and the rest were BS advertisements. I'd say let him stay because I don't really mind his spam and I'm sure he's actually a good teacher. Maybe he'll contribute the occasional worthwhile article.
You make a great point
but this is a rather commercial site...he pays, he gets representation

it's how this site maintains itself dude

no one is forcing you to go to his articles or pay for them
sure they may be annoying, but in the end you can always turn away from them
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
I don't know man, he makes pretty good lessons, eh, gives money to russians for ads, eh, doesn't afraid of anything, eh.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I don't know man, he makes pretty good lessons, eh, gives money to russians for ads, eh, doesn't afraid of anything, eh.

Since when are you Canadian?
Tom Hess is awesome. He taught me so many things and now I'm in a successful band! We're leaving on a tour of the west coast in January. It's all thanks to Tom Hess that I am where I am now.

Visit www.tomhess.net to discover highly effective music learning resources, online guitar lessons and tools including free online assessments, surveys, mini courses and more.

©2009 Tom Hess Music Corporation. All Rights Reserved
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Kensai

did you turn canadian?

yeah, he MAY pay the russians for this, but then, IMO, he should write something on his articles like "approved by UG" or whatever.
I'm not against a great teacher advertising on UG, I'm just really suspicious of this guy and the way he operates.

if you search "tom hess", you get a bunch of threads that are blatant advertising by students of his. this is where my "reimbursement" theory comes from.

EDIT: lol at guy above me ^ see, that's EXACTLY how all students of Hess post. doesn't that seem weird to you?
As long as he helps paying the great servers UG is on, and the hard work of the drunk Russians, I'm fine with him posting some ads. I don't like him, but if he helps pay the bills I'm fine.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

yeah i doubt he pays UG. he obviously isn't making too much money otherwise he'd use like Google Adsense. That's where UG is making money. He's probably just another music teacher struggling to make a decent living.
Quote by MightyAl
Since when are you Canadian?

Aboot 3 hours agoo.

Quote by CoreysMonster
did you turn canadian?

yeah, he MAY pay the russians for this, but then, IMO, he should write something on his articles like "approved by UG" or whatever.
I'm not against a great teacher advertising on UG, I'm just really suspicious of this guy and the way he operates.

if you search "tom hess", you get a bunch of threads that are blatant advertising by students of his. this is where my "reimbursement" theory comes from.

Dude chill I have no idea who that is
Quote by Kensai
Aboot 3 hours agoo.

Dude chill I have no idea who that is

I know you dont

I just need to get this RAEG out of me
Quote by opc100
Finally SOMEONE said it.

and I'll GLADLY put my life on the line for this site

that's how much I love it
I'm not a fan and his articles are a bit weird, he's not my kind of thing but I'm sure other people like him.

shenanigans!
you still have zoiiidbeeeerg
(V) (;,,;) (V)
YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG
Quote by TheBurningFish
It's more shocking to see Tom dressed at all.
Quote by suckersdream
I don't think I've ever actually seen him clothed.
Sexy Peoples Only
◕ ‿ ◕
TweetZ
Quote by CoreysMonster
I know you dont

I just need to get this RAEG out of me

Raging against barrels of beer isn't enough for you?

Quote by CoreysMonster
and I'll GLADLY put my life on the line for this site

that's how much I love it

This does NOT mean you deserve to win the election over me!
hello
Am I the only one who thinks this thread is full of bullshit?
If you don't like his articles, don't bloody read them.
guys, I won "Best Threadstarter" on the UG awards, you go ahead and be president for all I care
and kensai YOU FUCKING NOMINATED ME, YOU DICK
Quote by Moggan13
I seriously thought Tom Hess was this guy...

Me too!
But apparently I'm getting E-mails from his website... I don't find it any of these aforementioned things though. Just average articles, not too helpful, yet not too obvious.
I hardly think this is a topic to be posted as a poll in the pit. Either take it with the administrators or perhaps site feedback, but definitely not here and not like that.
This is not a pipe