Hi guys,

Does anyone make a good, but cheap, wah? I'm in the UK, and would ideally want to spend under £50 (though I suspect that's being unrealistic), up to £100 if it's really worth it... any more and I might as well just save for a boutique one. I don't use effects all that much though, and don't really want to be forking out £150 or £200 for a boutique one unless there's really no alternative.

I don't mind if it's true bypass or buffered, but it needs to be a good buffer. And none of this SPST nonsense

Tones I'd be after would be pretty much a mix of vintage and modern- hendrix and page for the vintage, more like vai, satriani, vinnie moore, petrucci lead tones for the more modern stuff.

I already have a dunlop GCB95, which is crap, so it needs to be better than that, or I'm just throwing my money away. It sucks tone when bypassed because of the aforementioned SPST switch, and when on it really thins out the tone and has a very abrupt sweep. Horrible, so much so that I just don't use it. I've considered modding it, but it's me so I'd never get round to it, plus the parts needed for modding it aren't exactly cheap anyway, unlike for most other pedal mods.

Only ones I've come up with so far are the artec ones (which I'm a bit wary of, based on what I've been told both by artec and one other guy on here who got one), and the modtone one (which isn't particularly cheap), and I can't try either before buying. Pity tonerider or someone similar doesn't offer a wah...

Any ideas? Thanks for your help in advance. If there's any info I've left out which would help you with recommendations, just ask.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 29, 2009,
Dunlop 535Q? Nothing like the standard Crybabies, I found it quite nice. You can modify just about every parameter of the wah. Not sure how much it is, though, and I'm also not sure if it's SPST or not. If you DO decide to go boutique, I'd look at RMC and Budda for wahs.
http://www.thomann.de/ie/morley_pwov.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/morley_clw.htm

I know it looks like I am a little biased towards Morley right here, but it looks like you're going to have to bump your budget to AT LEAST 150. Going off that site....any local market over there on the Emerald Isle?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Maybe look into a cheap Auto-wah?
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
Quote by WtrPlyr
They probably aren't between 50 and 100

They are $100USD so I'm sure they're probably around 70pounds over in the UK.

Edit:

My bad, Dave. For some reason I was thinking that you lived in the UK, not Ireland
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Oct 29, 2009,
^^^ Thanks. I don't think I've tried an auto-wah, but based on what I've read about them, I think i want a normal wah I can control with my feet. I'm willing to stand corrected, of course.

Quote by Led Dirigible
Dunlop 535Q? Nothing like the standard Crybabies, I found it quite nice. You can modify just about every parameter of the wah. Not sure how much it is, though, and I'm also not sure if it's SPST or not. If you DO decide to go boutique, I'd look at RMC and Budda for wahs.

thanks. As usual over here, price is the problem. I expect the 535q is well over £100 here (FAKE EDIT: just checked, can't find the exact model, but even lower models are well over the £100 mark ), I might as well just save for a boutique one in that case. Thanks for the info, though, I'll check them all out.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
Ibanez WH10V2 is definitely worth checking out, Dave.

yeah, i'll take a look and see if i can find a price. FAKE EDIT: Only found the wd7, and it's £105...

Quote by LaidBack
http://www.thomann.de/ie/morley_pwov.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/morley_clw.htm

I know it looks like I am a little biased towards Morley right here, but it looks like you're going to have to bump your budget to AT LEAST 150. Going off that site....any local market over there on the Emerald Isle?

thanks. Not sure about morleys, when i bought my crybaby i tried a few of them and preferred the crybaby, but I was a bit of a noob back then. But you're right, europe is a pain in the ass for getting cheap gear. Though I guess the (dubious) bonus is that it's a lot less painful to go boutique, as a lot of the time the boutique stuff is a similar price to the average, mass-produced, stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you do go boutique, the RMC Wizard would be perfect.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Yea, you're right about that man. Sorry I couldn't give you more, good luck man.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Stay away from the WD-7. I own one and it won't be very good for what you're wanting to play. They are great for high-gain stuff, but come up short pretty much everywhere else.

I don't know if the WH10V2 is officially out yet or not - just keep your eyes open. I doubt it will cost much more (if any) than the WD-7 because they are both the same price here in the US.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Serious I thought they were much more expensive.

Nope - just checked on a few different sites and everyone has them listed for $100.

I think that the true bypass of the original model has been replaced with a buffered bypass but I'm not 100% positive. All of the circuitry and everything else is supposed to be the same though.
thanks for the replies, guys. I'll keep an eye out for the ibanez one, i think you're right that they're not out yet.

I'll check out the RMC wizard and budda ones, haven't got that far yet. Isn't the budda supposed to have more of a "wow" sound than "wah"? If so, I'm not sure if I'd want that or not...

Some people on another forum suggested the behringer one, and the morley bad horsie 2... any thoughts on those?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, i just checked out the prices. The RMCs seem to be over £200. o_O I'm sure they're awesome, but £215?

The budda is about £150. More than I'd want to spend, but within range if it's noticeably better than the other options, especially if i were to end up with something around the £90-£100 mark.

EDIT: i don't know about morleys, I tried them out when i got my crybaby and preferred the crybaby, but i was probably an idiot back then...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Some people on another forum suggested the behringer one, and the morley bad horsie 2... any thoughts on those?

I'd stay away from Behringer if you're talking about amps and effects (outside of that they do make some decent products). I've never tried the wah but I've used a Behringer amp and tried a few effects before and I wasn't very impressed.

As far as the Morley, its a fairly versatile wah but it tends to shine when used in gainier situations.
Well try them out again. Idiot.

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^^ that's what i'd have thought, thanks.

^ hehe. I'm always paranoid about trying out stuff, you normally don't get as good a try-out as you do at home (the shop's noisy, or you can't crank it, or the acoustics are completely different to where you usually play, etc.), and it always sounds different in the shop. at least if you buy online you can send it back if it really sucks.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?