they said they would be

"checking your technique, theory, reading, stylistic knowledge etc" my technique isnt a problem but theory is i dont know it well all i know is the chords in the key of c and g lol not a lot,

and reading does that include tab?

and stylistic knowledge what does that mean ?

oh and i do plan on getting a tutor to teach me theory but the assessment is only in 2 weeks
better shred than dead
Last edited by shredda2084 at Oct 29, 2009,
i don't think they'll accept being able tab, i think they're more after being able to read sheet music. i think they mean that you differentiate between different styles of music. you may be able to learn everything in 2 weeks but it may be hard.
You need to be around the Grade 8 level to get onto that course (you're going for the guitar degree, yes?).

I'll be honest and burst your bubble: you don't stand a chance. You can't bullshit auditions.
Take the year out and build up your theoretical knowledge, and study various types of music.
Last edited by Rikki DeMartini at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
You be to be around the Grade 8 level to get onto that course (you're going for the guitar degree, yes?).

I'll be honest and burst your bubble: you don't stand a chance. You can't bullshit auditions.
Take the year out and build up your theoretical knowledge, and study various types of music.

What he said.

If your theoretical knowledge is limited to the chords in the key of G and C and you can only read tab, you are in big trouble.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
You be to be around the Grade 8 level to get onto that course (you're going for the guitar degree, yes?).

yup i have an ok grasp of theory and can actually read sheet music (i can't play along with it very fast, but i can read and decipher it) and i wouldn't really consider auditioning for any college. so you good TS, you're hosed and if you take a year off to study what you need to study then make sure you do nothing but that (theory takes a little while to grasp well and sight reading needs quite a bit of practice too)
Quote by z4twenny
yup i have an ok grasp of theory and can actually read sheet music (i can't play along with it very fast, but i can read and decipher it) and i wouldn't really consider auditioning for any college. so you good TS, you're hosed and if you take a year off to study what you need to study then make sure you do nothing but that (theory takes a little while to grasp well and sight reading needs quite a bit of practice too)

I took Theory for 2 years in school and wouldn't even feel comfortable auditioning for a music college. It is very demanding. It's a combination of both your knowledge and your skill, with most people lacking in one area or the other.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Last edited by BlueTele1983 at Oct 29, 2009,
well im 16 so if i did take the year to learn theory, its not that bad really
better shred than dead
I'd imagine they'd expect you to be able to read notation pretty fluently and have a good understanding of theory and different genres of music - including jazz and classical.

If I was you I'd get myself on a college course for a year, get myself a theory teacher and a good guitar teacher, and learn a second instrument like keys.

If you do decide to give it a year before auditioning contact the institute this year and find out as much as you can about what they're looking for in terms of knowledge and technique - tell them you're asking because you're planning on applying next year and intend on spending the year working on the gaps in your current knowledge. They'll appreciate you being proactive so don't feel awkward about contacting them.
Apply anyway, if they feel you have the potential they will let you on the course and tell you to study as much as you can before you attend. If you dont get accepted, take a year out and try again next year.
Quote by griffRG7321
Apply anyway, if they feel you have the potential they will let you on the course and tell you to study as much as you can before you attend. If you dont get accepted, take a year out and try again next year.

thats pefect, what i will do

thanks everyone
better shred than dead