im going to replace the pickups in my ibanez rga, its either between emg 81/85 or seymour duncan distortions. has anyone ever tried the two? which ones are better for metal and have better harmonics
A Duncan SH4 in the bridge is my pickup of choice.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
i'd be wary of the distortions, because if your rga is like the one i tried, it's very bright and the distortion is very bright too. That being said, the emg81 might be too. Are you willing to widen your search? what's your budget and what's your amp? EDIT: what type of metal? and is your rga naturally bright?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried EMGs and Duncans in my Ibanez RGA-121 (Never tried Dimarzios)

They sounded ok.

For whatever reason, the best sounding pickups I've found (or the ones that worked the best in my RGA121) were Guitar Fetish Crunchy PAT.

At $20 a pickup they are a STEAL. Sounds almost identical to my Seymour Duncans in my Schecter C1 Classic. GREAT for metal and high gain but they clean up BEAUTIFULLY.

THey make them in 6 different colors. Here are mine:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhublbrp.html
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
its an rga42fm. the active pickups it came with actually have like a full warm tone. im willing to widen my search but im new to guitar(im a drummer) haha and i just dont know what to get. my interest in metal are like john petrucci progressive style, but i also like dave mustaine and megadeth and stuff.
You're MUCH better off changing out your amp if you're unhappy with your tone.

Changing pickups is only a subtle change at best and should be done last.

65% of your tone comes from your amp
20% comes from your technique
10% from your effects
5% from your pickups

If you're unhappy with your tone. ALWAYS change your amp first.

Changing pickups will only result in a subtle EQ difference. In fact, you're much better off buying an EQ to run in your amp's effects loop before you change pickups.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
oh, it's one of the newer ones, I haven't tried them yet. What is your amp, out of interest? if the stock pickups are decent it migth be the amp which is at fault.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
its a randall rx120rh half stack. i just bought a digitech rp255 today and it sounds amazing now haha. i dont think i ever want to change the pickups now
ive tried em all and i went back to emg 81/60 with 18v system, nothing beats them especially for metal
i cant stand the sound of blackouts...
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Last edited by Harvesterofsrrw at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by D_ROB91
its a randall rx120rh half stack. i just bought a digitech rp255 today and it sounds amazing now haha. i dont think i ever want to change the pickups now

sure, that's the way to think. there's no point in upgrading for the sake of it if you like how it sounds.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Never get an EMG, imo the least versatile pick-up in existence, i mean, even with metal, you can get a duncan to react differently with your guitar, amp etc. but with emg's (again imo), everything sounds like amplified crap.
Quote by woodenbandman
As far as I'm concerned, Boogies descended from heaven on a heavenly A Major soundwave played over a choir of angels singing America/God Save The Queen and giving out free candy.

Need some change for strings? http://www.cashcrate.com/2476533