I recorded a video of myself playing on my webcam today on an Encore Strat copy and a BB Blaster amp (10 watt practice amp that came with the Encore) and I listened to it and it just sounded really bad...I was playing the riffs right and everything, but there was something about the tone of each note...

It sounded very sharp, way too bright, mechanical almost, way too buzzy...just harsh sounding and horrible - Is this the amp? the guitar? the webcam's microphone? My playing? I don't know.

I thought it might be how high I'd raised the treble, so I put it down to 0 just to test, and it still sounded bad. So I thought maybe it was the buzz of the single coils.

I grabbed my Yamaha Pacifica and tried that (humbucker) and it was a bit better but still too sharp...(I tried this on another, similar package practice amp)

How can I fix this? Do I just need a better amp/guitar or what?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Marshall VS100 Valvestate head with 4x12 angled cab

Squier Strat (Fiesta Red) 90's, Korean
its a mix of the quality of the amp with bad webcam mics. Most of the problem comes from the mic.

Idk, i record my videos using a Sm57 and mute whatever sound the webcam recorded. sometimes i leave SOME of the sound from the webcam because it makes it sound more "live"
Id sit was a mixture of both. Either way, if you want to sound nicer your going to need a new amp.
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
You just need a new amp sir. I thought you'd made a decision on your new amp anyway?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Yeah, I was just thinking though, although I have ALMOST made my decision on my new amp, I was just wondering whether I deserved one if it was my playing that was to blame...

Anyway, when I said I was almost decided on my amp, I'd just like to ask for one final view...

Do you think I should buy a Vox AC4TV (or perhaps a Valvetronix) PLUS a new guitar or wait for a few more months (maybe even until late next year) and get a Marshall JCM 800 head with 1960A 4x12 cab and an EQ pedal so I can use it it the house.

Which would do more for my crappy tone?

So the final choice is:

- Vox AC4TV + Vintage V100 Les Paul(now)
- Vox Valvetronix 30VT/50VT + Vintage V100 Les Paul (now)
- JCM 800 Head and 1960A cab with EQ pedal + NO GUITAR (Wait another year)

Which do you think I should go for?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

I'd go for "Vox AC4TV + Vintage V100 Les Paul(now)", mostly because I've heard great reviews about these Vox amps, and I know for sure that the Vintage V100 is nicer than the Epiphone Les Paul standard (IMO, having played both).
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Ok, thanks for your ideas, but at my local guitar shop, (I forgot to mention this) they have a Vintage V99, or a Vintage V100. They tell me they're exactly the same, except the V100 is set neck and the V99 is bolt on.

Only thing is, the V99 is £130, and the V100 is £180 - which should I get if I were to go with this option?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

How about: JCM + Pickup for the Yammy?
I read in one of your other threads you wanted to be in a band and if you're in a band with the AC4 it's unlikely you'll be heard. Plus the Yammy's are actually pretty nice solidly built guitars.

Also, 4x12 is generally not needed. Half decent 2x12 will probably be cheaper and give you more options.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

Oh yeah, apologise for double post...there's also the option of a Jim Deacon Les Paul for £136 (£6 more than the V99, but it's set neck, I think) or a Jim Deacon Strat which is £100. I've read many great reviews of this strat, there's one guy saying he prefers it to his American Stratocaster, other people say it sounds like Fender pickups and that if you slapped on a Fender decal, noone would know the difference or something...I tried one myself in store today and I w as very impressed...anyway, which should I go for?
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

Simplyben: Ok, only thing is I have the Pacifica 012, which is agathis body, and to be honest I don't like it very much...is it worth upgrading?

Yeah, I do want to eventually be in a fun cover band...but it might be a distant dream until I can master emulating my favourite guitarists? If it helps, I'm trying to get a Classic rock tone, mostly Early single coil tone of Led Zep as showcased on Led Zep I and in the live performances of 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbA_jQ28HmI

That is more or less exactly the tone I'm looking to replicate.
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)

If you don't like it then it's not worth upgrading. I would recommend:
Valvepower 18 Watter
Vintage Telecaster. Can't remember the model names but Vintage are stupendously good for the price.

Honestly I think that's the best rig you're going to get on a budget as you seem to be.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by Zoso1994

Eurozeppelin, that AC4TV is a cool little amp no kid. Extremely articulate. Maybe too articulate. Had a nice boutique feel and tone to it. But it won't kick you in the balls like a JCM800 will. I'd save up and get the JCM.

PS: I thought you were going to at least treat us with the video
Sorry about that - it's on the computer at my dad's house, which is just 5 minutes away...he was in Germany until today, but I'm going there this afternoon - I'll put up the video then.

When you're watching it, please remember that I'm a beginner and I'm really quite crap, so not to harsh

I'm sorry I can't get it now, I WILL put it on later this afternoon though
Gear:

Vintage VS6 (Wine Red)