I'm looking for buying some pickups for my guitar but i don´t know what should i do because i'm new in guitar world. I like bands like nirvana, pearl jam and red hot chilli peppers.

What do your recommend? Do you think i can get a good set of pickups for 200€?

And sorry for my english, i'm portuguese xD
Last edited by alex_mota98 at Oct 29, 2009,
Much, much, much more detail needed.
Firstly, why do you want to change pickups? This is important for choosing a new set, but more importantly it helps ascertain whether the problem with your tone that you're trying to solve with replacement pickups is actually to do with some other part of your setup.
What amp, guitar and pedals are you using? If the problem is with some other part of your setup we'll need to know what your setup is to work it out. Besides that, we need to know your guitar to determine what kind of pickups will fit, and your amp/pedals to determine what pickup will work best with your setup.
Finally, we need to know what you want the pickup will do for you, in relatively proper terminology. This is the information needed to actually make a coherent recommendation.
Give us all that and we should be able to point you in the right direction
Look, at the moment i just have and play accoustic guitar. Last year, my uncle gave me his electric guitar but the pickups and all the electronics are ****ed up. It is an 81' Ibanez Blazer Series with single coil pickups, not sure of which model the guitar is. Now i came up with this idea of buying a set of pickups and restore all the electronics. Do you think it's worth it or should i buy a new guitar??
I think this is my model, but in this picture the volume and tone knobs are missing.
http://guitarforworship.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/ibanez-1-small.jpg

Another pic
http://www.promusic-rio.com.br/G_Ib/he2.jpg

I'll take some photos to the guitar and post them. It would be nice if someone could tell me the model of the guitar, i still have dobouts
Last edited by alex_mota98 at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by alex_mota98
Look, at the moment i just have and play accoustic guitar. Last year, my uncle gave me his electric guitar but the pickups and all the electronics are ****ed up. It is an 81' Ibanez Blazer Series with single coil pickups, not sure of which model the guitar is. Now i came up with this idea of buying a set of pickups and restore all the electronics. Do you think it's worth it or should i buy a new guitar??

So you don't even have an amp for it? I really don't think you need new pickups
Quote by kyle62
So you don't even have an amp for it? I really don't think you need new pickups

I don´t have an amp but i've already tryied the guitar and and electronics are terrible. In the 5 way switch i just can get 1 position and it's very dificult to get it right. So, i don´t even know how good the pickups are. As i've been learning guitar for a few month i came up with this idea and i'd like to know if i could have better results by restoring all the electronics or buy a new guitar.
Uh, pickups can't be "shot." They either work or they don't. If you're getting some kind of strange output issues they'll be down to wiring; not the pickups.

Even if the pickups are lackluster, how will you know? The wiring is in such a state of disrepair that you can't get the guitar to make noise through an amp.

Get the guitar fixed up and maybe, I dunno, buy an amp. Then worry about new pickups.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by alex_mota98
I don´t have an amp but i've already tryied the guitar and and electronics are terrible. In the 5 way switch i just can get 1 position and it's very dificult to get it right. So, i don´t even know how good the pickups are. As i've been learning guitar for a few month i came up with this idea and i'd like to know if i could have better results by restoring all the electronics or buy a new guitar.

If the switch doesn't work (it's hard to ascertain exactly what you mean, due to the language barrier) get a new one. Fix the wiring. I'm almost positive the pickups themselves are fine.
Quote by ch0
Uh, pickups can't be "shot." They either work or they don't. If you're getting some kind of strange output issues they'll be down to wiring; not the pickups.

Even if the pickups are lackluster, how will you know? The wiring is in such a state of disrepair that you can't get the guitar to make noise through an amp.

Get the guitar fixed up and maybe, I dunno, buy an amp. Then worry about new pickups.

Yeah, you're right. I think the best thing to do is to send it to an expert to see what can be done. As you said i don´t even know if they are in conditions or not. If the only bad thing is the wiring itself, i'd get it fix and then see how the pickups sound
I'd just get a new pickup switch and worry about an amp. To be honest, it'll be another 3-4 years before you could appreciate the slight differences between pickups anyway.