Has anyone here gone to college majoring in Jazz? If you have or are currently what have your experiences been?

I'm on my first semester at SUNY New Paltz studying jazz guitar and so far its alright, but I feel like there arent alot of other serious musicians in the student body. I'm probably going to stay for a couple years so I can study with Mark Dziuba, an amazing guitarist and head of the Jazz program, and then I'm then I'm thinking of transfering to another school in more of a city area. Thoughts?

But please I want to hear about other people and there experiences in school studying Jazz on any instrument.
I have never studied jazz in school, but one of my best friends has under Shawn "Thunder" Wallace at Ohio State University for the past 3 years. When he started he pretty much sucked at saxophone, but now he is an incredible musician and has three primaries - tenor sax, bass clarinet, flute. He's got several secondaries but his best are alto and bari sax.

He told me more important than your teacher or the school's program is how much practice you put in. His instructor got him on a practice schedule of 5 hours a day 6 days a week. He said this, along with constant live shows, made a bigger difference than anything else he could have gotten. Of course a good instructor giving you plenty of stuff to practice is important, but the practice itself is the key to success.
I'm a freshman at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. There are some very serious players who are better than me, combined with some players who are decent but aren't really at the level that I'm at or the people who are better then me. My guitar teacher is a guy named Mike Kennedy who is a killing Philly based player and a great teacher. I really enjoy my classes, and all my teachers are knowledgeable and a lot of them play serious gigs with or have done some really heavy stuff career wise. One thing I don't like is the number of guitar players in my class. Pretty much everyone who got in for guitar ended up going, so there's more guitar players then there would ever be. It's not really that bad since I have more fellow guitar players to play with, and there's more competition to practice which I guess is a good thing. If you ever think about transferring you should look at The University of the Arts. It's a serious program with a great reputation, serious players and teachers, and it's in the best part of Philly which is really cool.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
I'm a freshman at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. There are some very serious players who are better than me, combined with some players who are decent but aren't really at the level that I'm at or the people who are better then me. My guitar teacher is a guy named Mike Kennedy who is a killing Philly based player and a great teacher. I really enjoy my classes, and all my teachers are knowledgeable and a lot of them play serious gigs with or have done some really heavy stuff career wise. One thing I don't like is the number of guitar players in my class. Pretty much everyone who got in for guitar ended up going, so there's more guitar players then there would ever be. It's not really that bad since I have more fellow guitar players to play with, and there's more competition to practice which I guess is a good thing. If you ever think about transferring you should look at The University of the Arts. It's a serious program with a great reputation, serious players and teachers, and it's in the best part of Philly which is really cool.

cant have too many guitar players....as with any crowded field..it thins out when the quality meets the quanity...

practice..as noted in this thread...is the key to all studies in music...its the only way to digest the material...yes it is painful at times but well worth it...there comes a day when you will realize..."i can PLAY that.."

play well

wolf
i plan on going to Adelaide UNI next year yo major in Jazz Performance. Really looking forward to it.
check out DePaul University. it's one of, if not, the best jazz school in the country. the guitar head is Bob Palmeri, who's played with Maynard Ferguson, Pat Metheny, and others. he's great and the program is amazing