ok ug im thinkin of starting a band with my friend. but there is a problem he believes in only newer radio friendly rock music and i am completely into slas and rhoads. i am also the better guitarist no pun intendeed but should i pretty much just tell him what were playin or what
also i cant just forget about it cause he is the only other musicain in my ssmall town tht i can jam with
Bryce
To the way you worded and spelled that:

But really...This belongs in the Bandleading forum
But...why don;t you just try and blend your two styles together...don't try and imitate someone else's sound and style, find your own style and go with it
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Oct 29, 2009,
i dig that picture, rofl.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 AC BXP 4-String Bass
Fender BXR 60 watt
Squier Fender Stratocaster 20th anniversary edition\
Pignose acoustic
Samick D1/SN
As a fellow PA rock musician, I completely understand. I have found that it's better to do a little of both. He's right in saying that radio-friendly music will get you farther. It's a little bit of a sell-out move, but the alternative is going absolutely nowhere.

However, don't forget your roots. If I remember Slash had a little band called Guns N Roses. They did ok. I think Rhoads was in a band fronted by...hmmm...Ozzy? Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. GNR and Ozzy are both legendary with both legendary guitarists playing radio-unfriendly music.

Radio-friendly music will get your name out. With more supporters behind you, introduce the radio-unfriendly music into the set. If it's good it won't occur to people that it's not what you hear on the radio.

A good example IMO is Nickelback. They got huge with How You Remind Me. Radio-friendly. Hero, Photograph, Rockstar, etc. all radio-friendly. Mixed in with that they had heavy, solo-laden, in-your-face songs like Burn It to the Ground, Animals, Side of a Bullet, and Too Bad. They mix the sell-out w/ what they really want to play and it worked out well for them.

Hope this helps.
Gear

Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Ibanez RG370DX
BC Rich Warlock SE
BC Rich Warlock NJ Series (Kahler trem)
BC Rich Mockingbird Acrylic Ice Series
BC Rich Mockingbird Spiro Light
Line6 Bogner 1X12 Tube Amp