ok first im gonna ask whic is better???
Next i think im gonna get a disortion so what would be the best one for my monney willing to go to 150
i also love to play 3days grace hinder slash ozzy and that kinda tuff will be used gigging
Bryce
technically arent they the same thing? distortion is just more drive than overdrive?

what kind of amp do u have?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
First I must ask the ever annoying question... whats your amp?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

i usually say distortion for an SS amp, overdrive for a tube. just sounds better for my tastes

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
asking 4 ur amp too

EDIT: I support STBY's statement. Od's are usually to spyce up overdrven tubes and dists have their own circuit. you can technically change one for another but they have their own sound.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Oct 29, 2009,
Why do people ask these questions...they're annoying because...

IT'S PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

That being said, if you have a tube amp, you'll probably want to just put an OD in front of the drive channel of your amp. I'm guessing you have a solid state amplifier, so you're probably going to want a distortion pedal. This will provide a heavier sound than an overdrive and can better produce the sounds that I'm assuming you want.
Quote by ldnovelo
asking 4 ur amp too

EDIT: I support STBY's statement. Od's are usually to spyce up overdrven tubes and dists have their own circuit. you can technically change one for another but they have their own sound.

you need another edit

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
i got a crappy line 6 i no get a better amp but i dont ned anything bigger for what i do just more disortion so wats best for my money
Bryce
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
technically arent they the same thing? distortion is just more drive than overdrive?

what kind of amp do u have?

They are not! Overdrive boosts the signal going into the amp to drive the amp harder. Distortion distorts the signal.

It is all personal preference and depends hugely on what you want to play.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Well I'm guessing it's a spider by the crappy Line 6... Modelling amps don't usually take pedals too well so that's probably not a good idea... especially through a Spider. Save up for a bit and buy a better amp would be my suggestion.

And the difference between OD and Distortion is an OD adds an extra punch to your current tone, where Distortion pedals have a different tone of their own.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by SimplyBen
They are not! Overdrive boosts the signal going into the amp to drive the amp harder. Distortion distorts the signal.

No, they are the same thing.
Quote by SimplyBen

Not true. That's a good way to use some overdrive pedals, but an overdrive pedal is designed to clip the signal itself.
The difference is that OD gives a softer clipping, while distortion is a hard clipping sound.
For that reason, OD sounds clearly more vintage; think Stevie Ray Vaughan and his TS9 - sometimes times it doesn't sound much like distortion, it just sustains and blooms better than normal.
A distortion box is harder clipping, and sounds like full on distortion. It's just an alternative to preamp distortion, really.
If you use an OD to boost your signal, you get an exaggerated version of the drive from the amp you're using, but only if it's a tube amp; you don't want to hit a Solid State that hard because the clipping will just be ugly.

Frankly, the best way to learn the difference is to go into a guitar store and try any example of both for yourself; you'll soon cotton on.
Quote by xoguitarist95ox
i got a crappy line 6 i no get a better amp but i dont ned anything bigger for what i do just more disortion so wats best for my money

mxr fullbore metal just came out check it out i have a feeling this is a great metal pedal.