Page 1 of 2
My neighbor is an older man and I help him a lot with computer issues and other around the house stuff. I was over there today and he asked me if I wanted to teach him a few guitar chords. I said sure and asked if he wanted to borrow an acoustic of mine...

So uh, he walked into his closet and pulled out this old ugly guitar case. I opened it and he has what I THINK is a Gibson ES-135 (had two P90s) in mint condition. He said he has played it upwards of 5 times since he bought it somewhere around 1960s. I could tell it hasn't been played lately because the strings almost made my fingers bleed (although only the G string was out of tune -- Gibsons never change). He said he paid $200 for it 40 years ago and the average value he was getting offered from local guitar shops is $1200.

In a perfect world, he'd give it to me for an insanely low price because I help him and his wife out all the time, but I was seriously debating walking over with $500 and taking it off his hands. I didn't get to play it through an amp but how bad can a vintage Gibson with two P90s sound, right? What do you think?
Get it, then get it set up.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'd go ahead and grab it. That's how I got my PRS. Even if it isn't drop dead amazing, you're still gonna get a fine guitar. Much better than ANYTHING else you could get for $500

They don't make em like they used to.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Get it.

Regardless of how collectible it is, if it's in good condition, it'll be one awesome guitar.

Also, 200 dollars 40 years ago is the equivalent of 1161.91 dollars today. That explains the price he's been offered in music stores.

EDIT: Here's a similar guitar in some good-but-obviously-worn condition, for about 3000 dollars
http://www.frettedamericana.com/gibson_es125cd_1968-d-498-8.html
Last edited by sashki at Oct 29, 2009,
DO IT! Except give him a fair price for it, don't try to rip him off. Its certainly worth more than $500, probably more like upwards of a couple thousand if its in mint condition.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
buy it for 500 then sell it to those shops u mentioned for 1200, new amp?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i would get it but not pay so little because then your just ripping them off, but if they'll give it to you for a low price i would take it and set it up
Seems very odd to me that a 60s Gibson is only valued at $1200. I suggest you take it off his hands because I daresay those guitar centers might be getting the value wrong - god knows they aren't the most clued in of guitar salesmen! It could be worth a fair bit more.
That said, it's a 60s Gibson so it's probably a great guitar when properly set up.
Quote by vodoochile
DO IT! Except give him a fair price for it, don't try to rip him off. Its certainly worth more than $500, probably more like upwards of a couple thousand if its in mint condition.

I think you should simply make him aware of how much it's worth and see if he is still willing to sell it. I got my champ a lot cheaper than it was worth. The guy offered to sell it to me for 150 and I told him it was worth much more and he said he didn't mind as long as it went into good hands

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Buy it. If you like it then hell yeah. If not then you can sell it for a huge profit.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
There's no way I'd turn around and re-sell it. I'd feel like a total douche if I did that. And I don't feel offering him $500 would be ripping him off, he knows it's worth $1200 to a guitar shop (who would probably turn around and sell it for $2k) so it's completely up to him what to sell it for.
obviously the guitar shop was trying to rip him off,

buy it, play it, if its not what u want sell it for profit

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Do it.. Do It NOW!
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by robl95

If that the guitar you saw, It's gorgeous, you should get it.
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
Buy it, play it, if not turn it back to him....My dad has like a 70's vintage Hagstrom model...its worht like 3000 dollars or something
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
vintage schmintage...... over priced antiques.

do right by the ol' dog. teach him to enjoy it again and maybe he will leave it behind for you.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
What happened to just buying guitars to buy guitars... come on UG... where is the GAS infested horde I remember?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Buy it from him if you actually want it. It would be pretty slimy of you to buy it and then flip it.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I think that guitar would be worth a little more than $1200. id buy it and keep it forever.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Why are you even on here? GO! GO! GO!
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Quote by WillB13
Why are you even on here? GO! GO! GO!

Hi 5! Thats the spirit!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by drewfromutah
There's no way I'd turn around and re-sell it. I'd feel like a total douche if I did that.

Sounds like you're a good guy, then. Thats probably part of why he has no problem letting go of it for so little -- he knows you'll take care of it. They're amazing guitars, and unless there's something seriously wrong with it or you feel you'd never use that sort of guitar (I don't know what kind of music you play) then I would definitely go for it and thank the guy to death. I don't know how many people wouldn't want a guitar like that, even if it was just to collect. I'd go for it if I were you.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
get itttt its a classic
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
Quote by DSOTM80
Can't be an ES-135 sorry....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_ES-135

**** wikipedia. Honestly.

Gibson Es 135 ( 1956 to 1958 )

The Gibson es 135 was introduced officially in 1956 and was discontinued in 1958 , the guitar was very similar to the es 130 .

from: http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2005/11/gibson-es-135.html

ES-130 introducted in late 1954.
Renamed ES-135 introducted in mid-1956.

EDIT:

ALSO, this was on top of the page.

This article may contain original research or unverified claims. Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details. (December 2008)

This article's tone or style may not be appropriate for Wikipedia. Specific concerns may be found on the talk page. See Wikipedia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions. (December 2008)

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Oct 29, 2009,
Buy it, keep it forever. Get an awesome display case for it and play it proudly.

At the very least restring and set up the guitar. Give the fretboard a nice lemon oil treatment too.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
offer it. at the worst you keep your $500 and he'll know you're definitely interested in case he thinks about selling / giving it away later. at best you walk out with a guitar. seems like a win win to me
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Just bear in mind that offering him $500 dollars for it when he's already been offered $1200 is pretty much like asking him to give you $700. If you are both comfortable with that and he doesn't appear to need the money then great - go for it
Quote by MESAexplorer
Hi 5! Thats the spirit!

1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2