So guys, I *think* I discovered my head voice today. Seriously, I think I LITERALLY discovered it. I just thought, "hey, instead of straining for the note, I'll relax and see what happens". Well, I "accidently" hit a high C. Whoops. It sounded full and had that hooty sound people associate with head voice, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't falsetto, either. And if it wasn't actually a high C, it was a LOT higher than I can usually sing.

So, here's my question: I've been doing scales for an hour now, and my voice is tired. Not in pain at all, and I'm still hitting notes fine. Just tired. Will it cause me harm if I keep singing to try to perfect this new coordination?

I'm afraid that if I don't keep practicing, I'll forget it by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance to everyone!
Last edited by Jimbosandwich at Oct 29, 2009,
record yourself hitting those high notes, cool down, then stop for the day

if what you're describing is what I think it is, it's a good thing. i learned a while ago that there's a big difference between a tired voice and a voice that's in pain. after singing for a while your voice will have a warm and slightly used feeling to it, and that's definitely a good thing since it means you've stretched your vocal cords and they've reached their current full potential. however, the second you feel any pain you should stop immediately, beyond that you're only gonna do damage to your voice.
Quote by Cheeseman07
record yourself hitting those high notes, cool down, then stop for the day

if what you're describing is what I think it is, it's a good thing. i learned a while ago that there's a big difference between a tired voice and a voice that's in pain. after singing for a while your voice will have a warm and slightly used feeling to it, and that's definitely a good thing since it means you've stretched your vocal cords and they've reached their current full potential. however, the second you feel any pain you should stop immediately, beyond that you're only gonna do damage to your voice.

Haha, that's a pretty good idea. I just recorded myself hitting an A#, and after warming down, my throat feels nice and relaxed again.

Thanks a lot for that! Now I won't have to worry about "what it sounds like" tomorrow (or worry about losing my ability to sing).