so im looking to upgrade my bass early next year. and i was looking on guitarcenter.com and 2 basses caught my eye that are in my price range, the Fender Deluxe P Bass Special and the Ibanez SR530 Bass Guitar. both seem like good basses for my skill level (been playing for about a year and a half) and if a save up for a few months i could get either of them, the fender is about $700 and the ibanez is $600.

the fender seems cool because of the mix between J and P bass. its got a jazz neck for quick playing and easily going up and down the neck, and its got a P body so its lightweight and looks pretty kool. its also got a j/p pickup system so you can get a good range of tones. plus i really like the gold vinly pickguard lol.

the ibanez seems pretty cool to, its got a 3-band eq but i dont usually mess with that much. 1 of the comments for it on GC.com said its kinda scratchy but its not that big a deal. i like the look of it to, and the clack or white color scheme both look really cool on it, but looks arent everything.

iv heard ibanez is a pretty good brand but fender is more well known and my favorite bassist (joe principe from rise against) uses fenders. if anyone has used theses basses before or knows about them i would like if f you could give me alittle insight on which one i should get. thanks
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Quote by plabon
fender definately

fender p is the shit
GEAR

Guitars
Danelectro Double Cutaway 1959 reissue, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat

Pedals
Danelectro Reel Echo, Crybaby Wah, Boss DS-1

Amplifiers
Orange Crush 30w
Fender Pro Junior
I have no experience with the Ibanez, but the Fender kicks ass!

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
That fender deluxe is an amazing bass that will last you a very long time, and cover a ridiculous amount of genres. Do it, you won't regret it!

But keep in mind, the resale value is so low, you should really check the used market for one first. You could probably score that Fender for about $400 on eBay or craigslist.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i dont plan to re-sell it any time soon lol. iv only been playing for a bit but i know that muic is something i wanna do. iv alreay ben in 1 band (started with some friends and we actually didnt do much, and it was boring christain rock lol, jsut didnt it to learn) but once i get done with school next year or so i wanna try and start up a new band and i need good gear for that. while im talking about gear what kind of amp would go good with the fender? i got a line6 lowdown but its not a gigging amp
There is a saying in poetry, "show me, don't tell me." here you are announcing everything, like an announcer to a sporting event. "Dave has the ball. Dave passes the ball. Dave picks his ass."

~Zanascross

XD epic win
When I said resale, I meant other people are selling theirs and you should buy it from them and save a few hundred bucks. As far as an amp, that depends on the genres you play. I have a P-Bass and a Hartke (quarter)stack and it covers everything I need, from ska to classic rock to muse to whatever, and it keeps up with my drums. I highly recommend Hartke.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
o, deedeedee on me lol. well i rather get a new one. iv only had used basses so a new one would be super awesome. and i will take a look at that amp. thanks

~Zanascross

XD epic win
Yeah the P/J combo should be able to do anything... I've always wanted one but been too happy with my one-pet-jazz-bass only setup to justify buying another bass.

Hartke is definitely getting alot better with their bass stuff... I've used some of the older hartke bass amp, didnt hate em, but the new ones are sky high in comparison. I wouldnt rule out Hartke, Gallien Krueger, the new Genz-Benz hybrid amps... well nevermind, this list could get too long.

My advice is read read read, try try try, read read read, try try try. Then start narrowing it down.
Just a Question :
The Fender Deluxe P Bass is made in mexico right??
because its cheaper than the American Standard
yeah its an MIM but who gives a shit i have one and its the bestest
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Both are great basses, you cant go wrong with either. I'd personally take the Fender, but thats just me
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Alright, enough of this "Fender is the best and you should own one because i do and it makes me look cool"

TS, What style of music do you play? What Amp are you using? Think about these things before you go, "I want one because so and so has one"

Why? I'm pretty sure Joe Principe has an endorsement from them, so not only does he get a shit load of money from playing them, he get's his basses for free. Hell probably if I was given an endorsement from Epiphone which meant lots of money for me, I'd probably take it and learn how to make the bass sound good for me. What I'm saying is he might have to work days and days tweaking his sound on the fender, whereas if he plugged in an ibanez it might be perfect.

You need to try both out and figure out the best for you
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
^agreed
buuuuuuuut i love the wide range the fender gives you, but as tared 24 frets could come in handy
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by Double Basser
You need to try both out and figure out the best for you

This.
Try them, the best choice is always whichever feels better to you while your playing, and which one sounds better to you
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass