I'm considering adding a BBE Sonic Maximizer 362 to my recording studio rack.
Is anyone currently using one for recording or mixdown or mastering?

I would appreciate any feed back......or comments.
Quote by Afterhours
Why is that? Have you used it before?

cos its a crappy "band-aid" solution for inferior mixes.

mix better and avoid these alleged "maximisers", that is the path to Audio Victory
Quote by TheDriller

mix better and avoid these alleged "maximisers", that is the path to Audio Victory

Thanks.......now that was helpful.
i wouldnt get one it just make audio into sterile audio
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
it works really well on vocals ad can help fix muddy recordings a bit, a lot of people do use it as a band aid solution though as has been pointed out, expecially at the mastering stage, I would avoid that, but it is a nice tool to have for certain things.

Quote by TheDriller

the sonix maximizer shouldn't even be used on mixes, it's primarily for spicing up individual tracks, how exactly is that a band aid solution for bad mixing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 1, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it works really well on vocals ad can help fix muddy recordings a bit, a lot of people do use it as a band aid solution though as has been pointed out, expecially at the mastering stage, I would avoid that, but it is a nice tool to have for certain things.

the sonix maximizer shouldn't even be used on mixes, it's primarily for spicing up individual tracks, how exactly is that a band aid solution for bad mixing.

The problem is that in many cases, less experienced engineers come across this plugin, start putting it on everything that sounds "bad" in some way, and use it as a crutch,

instead of asking themselves "why?" the channel/mix sounds "bad" and then making the appropriate adjustments, the tenancy is the just slap on the Maximiser and pray for the best.

sure, it can be useful and can sound good, but arguably never as good as doing it right in the first place.
i would say get the software version and use it SPARINGLY!!! ive heard from numerious sources that you should never use it on recorded guitars, as it sucks out the midrange (the freq humans are the most keen to hear) resulting in hidden guitars. I think maybe itd be good to try it on other intstruments, but remeber add sparingly.