I stopped by a local music shop that sells used instruments today and was checking out what they had. I've been playing guitar for almost four years now, and I had a bass a couple years back, but I didn't keep it for long and didn't play it much.

Anyway, I'm into recording my own music, and I want to start tracking bass lines into my songs. So, I had a few questions on where to start when buying one. First off, I want to know what would be better: fretted or fretless? I saw a Peavey bass...not sure which model...today in the store that was fretless, and as I was plunking around on it a little bit, it felt pretty smooth. The bass I mentioned above that I had was fretted, and I remember having problems with buzzing frets when I would hit notes. The action was fine, but this problem bothered me. Also if it helps, I'm into mostly metal music, but if I buy a bass I would probably want to learn a style sort of in the vein that Stu Hamm plays, in addition to playing metal and rock.

Secondly, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money because I don't have a lot to spend at the moment, and also I will (basically) be just starting. But I don't want something that's a piece of junk like the one I had before either. I searched around the forums a little bit for any information, but couldn't really find anything pertaining to what I wanted to know, so I'm asking all you bass players out there for a little help and advice on this subject. Anything at all is appreciated.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." ~Carl Sagan
Last edited by stonebrain at Oct 29, 2009,
I'd say around $250-$300 is all I'm looking to spend right now.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." ~Carl Sagan
i would say an ibanez sr300 or an sr305. the only difference is the sr305 is a five string. they produce a great sound. they play like a bass in the range of $600-$800.
Okay...that's one suggestion. What about fretted vs. fretless?
Well plunking around on a fretless in a music store is one thing, playing note for note in tune during an actual song/recording is yet another.

If you're just beginning, fretted is undoubtedly better/more versatile, however alot of people will say learning on a fretless is far better, however more difficult/time consuming/frustrating.

So say fretted to begin with, and those ibanez models crowning recommended are both good for decent tone on a budget. If you like the idea of a more traditional tone better, a squier P-Bass or J-Bass should suit you good...

^I think thats generally what alot of people would tell you.
Okay. I am assuming that it would be more difficult on a fretless because it would be easier to get a flat/sharp note, is that right?
Quote by stonebrain
Okay. I am assuming that it would be more difficult on a fretless because it would be easier to get a flat/sharp note, is that right?

it would be easier to hit a note that isn't actually a note and sound out of tune
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
You'll be better off with a fretted methinks. The Ibanez SR300 is a good choice, the Ibanez GSR200 is a good alternative if you want to save some money (it costs $200). In the $300 price range, a Squier Vintage Modified P or J bass. Also, do you plan on actually using an amp? Because your going to need to set aside some money for that too (unless your running it through a computer. I'd even then still recommend getting an amp)
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Cort Curbow is nice, and not too expensive
I would stick to fretted for now... fretless is great but harder to play (but then that's perhaps a psychological barrier reserved for bass guitarists lol)