hey guys
i'm really sorry if this has already been done but i'm just wondering
i have a gig tommorow, i'm the vocalist/lead guitarist in my band and even though i've played two gigs as the 'frontman' of the band i feel as though i need to be a more 'charismatic' figure onstage, because normally i'm just a shy little nerdy guy with glasses haha
i was just curious if anybody on UG would have any advice for me?
thanks in advance anyway
When you're not actually playing...........engage the audience. That can be done in many different ways, you just need to find which ways work best for you.
oh ok cool
thanks for your advice man
i'm gonna try and 'banter' more with the crowd, cos the last two gigs i was so nervous i never said anything other than "is everyone having a good time?" and "this is our last song"
i hope i'll be more comfortable and confident on stage this time around so that i'll be able to engage the crowd a bit more
Remember to just relax and have a good time.....yes, I know that's easier said than done, but if you're enjoying yourself, it will definately reflect in the energy you project to the audience. Try to make eye contact with them. Some of the things you can do is tell jokes (if you're good at it...haha), or just talk to the audience......maybe single someone out and engage in a conversation that would elicit a response from them, such as....."I bet you can't tell me the name of the group who played that last song".....etc. You know when you've suceeded in engaging the audience when the majority of the audience makes eye contact with you when you're talking.

I hope that helps........good luck on the gig.
Last edited by Afterhours at Oct 30, 2009,
Don't let your appearence hold you back for a start.

Looking "nerdy" never stopped Patrick or Rivers, and now they're fronting 2 of the biggest bands in the world (Fall Out Boy and Weezer respectively). Don't have a self concious mindset about it. Just think "Hey, these people came to see my band, I might as well make it worthwhile and put on a show for them", and enjoy yourself. If they see you enjoying yourself, they'll enjoy themselves too.

As for actual things to say if that's what you want, I can't help you too much. But I will say this: try and make things more personal...like talk about the place you're playing or something (I know you're probably playing in your own town so this might be harder), but I always feel more involved if a band says something specific to that night rather than just generic, stock phrases.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Last edited by asator at Oct 30, 2009,
I think the most important thing to take away from this is that: No matter who you are or what you do, do it and be it with conviction. It dosnt matter if your personality is nerdy, be that 100%. People can detect a fake a mile away. Dont be a poser or try to be flamboyant like say Gene Simmons when your personality is more like Rivers Cuomo. People dont care what you are, as long as you are real about it. That's my theory anyway.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

You know music is like 100% sound right?

Affordable prices on Logo designs and band merch. PM me for details.

Obligatory band link \/
www.myspace.com/resetred
I front a two person band, yeah just me and a drummer. I get really nervous too, my number 1 advice is this. IF UR GOING TO DO IT, ALWAYS DO IT 100%. In other words, sometimes i jump up and down to some of our heavyier songs. If i decide im going to jump i jump as high as i can and as wildly as i can while still being able to play my guitar. Never half ass it and lose conviction or decide halfway through u look dumb and u wish you hadnt done it at all. Go all out and even if u think u look dumb onstage jumping up and down to the beat of the crash like u just snorted a mountain of coke, the audience will definetly get more into that than someone who jumps like two times then stops and looks embarassed

Also something i like to do, is tell the audience im nervous, or in between songs tell them funny stories about getting ready for the gig or tell them what a songs about. Keep this brief though cuz they are there for the show not to hear u ramble but a good.

"Aww man, U guys are awsome, they told me that only emo bands play here, and i thought we were gonna get eaten alive, but u guys are pretty legit, alot better than when we played hot topic. the next song is ____"

often gets the crowd into it and makes them feel a connection with you.

If u get nervous look at the back wall or ur guitar

and remember : Have fun cuz thats what its about
well it wasnt at a gig but at the place where i take music lessons we have jam sessions. We had to split up into little groups and put together a song. When me and my group got up i said "hi im really nervous up here, so im gonna make everyone else nervous by letting you guys know that underneath these clothes im completely naked."

afterwards a lot of the people said i was pretty funny and liked it from telling JUST ONE JOKE.

moral is like other people said, just engage the audience

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
Quote by speedy1330
well it wasnt at a gig but at the place where i take music lessons we have jam sessions. We had to split up into little groups and put together a song. When me and my group got up i said "hi im really nervous up here, so im gonna make everyone else nervous by letting you guys know that underneath these clothes im completely naked."

afterwards a lot of the people said i was pretty funny and liked it from telling JUST ONE JOKE.

moral is like other people said, just engage the audience

Lolz.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
if you really want to make 'em nervous, tell them how many layers of clothing you're wearing under your skin!
Quote by GrisKy
if you really want to make 'em nervous, tell them how many layers of clothing you're wearing under your skin!

This..... not so much.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Tell people what moves to do. If you have a song that calls for a circle pit, tell the crowd to get off their tits and give you a flippin' circle pit.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
or, if you're doing old skool hip hop, you could tell them to get ON their tits and do "the worm!"
Quote by GrisKy
or, if you're doing old skool hip hop, you could tell them to get ON their tits and do "the worm!"

Quote by GrisKy

This is not your night Grisky.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by zeminion
This is not your night Grisky.

I stand firmly behind both of those comments.
If you enjoy playing music, it will come through. You could even separate your "on-stage" self from that shy guy you are elsewhere. Get into the mindset of "I'm on stage, I'm whoever I want to be" or something like that.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by GrisKy
I stand firmly behind both of those comments.

Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab