Not to be confused with the Finnish folk band of the same name.

Very rarely does a band like this come along. Viking metal has evolved into a joke. It has turned into a genre of Melodic Death metal clown acts that happen to have lyrics centered around the vikings. Very few of these bands ever manage to capture the essence of the genre, the special feel that Quorthon had with Hammerheart. Gjallarhorn have hit the nail on the head.

Gjallarhorn take an epic metal approach to their music, very similar to Hammerheart. The band features "Deathmaster" and "WrathLord" from none other than Italy's leading doom band, Doomsword. They manage to channel their intense love for Quorthon's work and simultaneously throw in that signature Doomsword flair without sounding like a mess. It should be noted that the band shares many similarities with Ereb Altor, and a bit with the legendary Scald.

Nordheim paints a beautiful, but grim picture of the Norse end of the world known as Ragnarok. The album is broken into 6 songs of varying, but still substantial, lengths. The album flows as if it was one long song. Each song has its own identity but ties in perfectly with the next completing the picture.

This is something I really feel like should not be ignored, and I rarely ever see any discussion (if at all) of this band. They only managed one album in 2005, Nordheim. Sadly, in general, this band hasn't had much exposure so their material is hard to find. I couldn't even find any streaming samples. So, I decided to upload one song for the greater good of UG.

The Day Odin Stood Still

Metal Archives
It was only a matter of time...

But seriously, great band. Excellent material.

You recc'ed me these guys like 3 months ago.
Philosophy > Life
And I will rec these guys to you again. God damn Nordheim is amazing.

Hammerheart + By Honour + Nordheim followed by Will of the Gods is Great Power makes for one hell of a listening session.
Last edited by \Powerslave/ at Oct 29, 2009,
You had me sold at first mention of Doomsword members being involved in the band. I'll definately be listening to this later on. Too bad the album is so hard to find.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
You will have to try very hard to find it at a decent price. I know, I've been trying. DAMN YOU DRAGONHEART AND YOUR LIMITED RUNS! Being a teen with limited resources doesn't help me either. Bah.

But this is right down your alley man. I'd put it at just a tiny notch below "Let Battle Commence", but the album is really easy to get into. It's great to just chill to.
Sounds good, though it seem i may have a hard time even finding somewhere to listen to it. In other news, how weak is it that The Forger has left Doomsword? ;\
Actually I had no idea he even left... I'm pretty behind on these things >.>

Have you noticed all threads that either of us make always end up as a conversation between you and myself?
Yeah everyone else sucks at listening to metal
Nordheim is one of the greatest albums ever made, in the past year i've found myself listen to it more than Hammerheart.
Picked up a physical copy of Nordheim a couple weeks ago!!!!

All who are reading this and enjoy the works of Bathory; or Scald, Ereb Altor, Doomsword, Isole, or Falkenbach, etc., etc. have a listening, you won't be disappointed.
Quote by \Powerslave/
Not to be confused with the Finnish folk band of the same name.

Very rarely does a band like this come along. Viking metal has evolved into a joke. It has turned into a genre of Melodic Death metal clown acts that happen to have lyrics centered around the vikings. Very few of these bands ever manage to capture the essence of the genre, the special feel that Quorthon had with Hammerheart. Gjallarhorn have hit the nail on the head.

Gjallarhorn take an epic metal approach to their music, very similar to Hammerheart. The band features "Deathmaster" and "WrathLord" from none other than Italy's leading doom band, Doomsword. They manage to channel their intense love for Quorthon's work and simultaneously throw in that signature Doomsword flair without sounding like a mess. It should be noted that the band shares many similarities with Ereb Altor, and a bit with the legendary Scald.

Nordheim paints a beautiful, but grim picture of the Norse end of the world known as Ragnarok. The album is broken into 6 songs of varying, but still substantial, lengths. The album flows as if it was one long song. Each song has its own identity but ties in perfectly with the next completing the picture.

This is something I really feel like should not be ignored, and I rarely ever see any discussion (if at all) of this band. They only managed one album in 2005, Nordheim. Sadly, in general, this band hasn't had much exposure so their material is hard to find. I couldn't even find any streaming samples. So, I decided to upload one song for the greater good of UG.

The Day Odin Stood Still

Metal Archives

Im sold
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
^ I concur.

Quote by Stranglehold
Im sold

Hey, that's what I said! º_º
After seeing "Doomsword, Bathory, Ereb Altor", and "Scald" associated with these guys, there's no way I can pass this up.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Quote by Penisaur
Yeah everyone else sucks at listening to metal

i feel this way all the time
i am the moonstar
Bump for a ****ing amazing band. Stumbled upon them today, listened to the album twice and I'm in love. I NEED to find a physical copy somewhere.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm