I have a question, if I'm playing sweet child o mine, can't I just play 1 fret lower than the tab says instead of tuning each string down 1/2 step? As long as the intonation of the guitar is right, it should be the same notes, correct? The only possible issue I can think of is the issue of an open string being plucked...
Quote by mort1
know im in the wrong forum
im not stupid........... duh
if you havent notised there is alot of ignorant people here,,,,,,,
Absolutely correct, the only set back is the open strings that are played during the song.
Don't worry about it, just learn it the same way as if you were a half step down. If it's that much of an issue, download power tab and the ptab file and set it up a half step higher. It's going to be awkward and confusing trying to learn it a fret lower, and in the long run would just be easier to learn it in the correct position.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Quote by BlueTele1983
Don't worry about it, just learn it the same way as if you were a half step down. If it's that much of an issue, download power tab and the ptab file and set it up a half step higher. It's going to be awkward and confusing trying to learn it a fret lower, and in the long run would just be easier to learn it in the correct position.

Adding to this...

Typically your bassist won't be tuning down, and your singer goes off relative pitch, so he won't even notice, and drummers never care, so your best off learning it a step higher, and then if absolutely necessary, tune your guitar down.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Adding to this...

Typically your bassist won't be tuning down, and your singer goes off relative pitch, so he won't even notice, and drummers never care, so your best off learning it a step higher, and then if absolutely necessary, tune your guitar down.

The singer could definitely notice - raising the pitch one semitone can make a big difference as far as singing comfort goes. Especially if the highest note in the song is already at the top of the singer's range...
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
The singer could definitely notice - raising the pitch one semitone can make a big difference as far as singing comfort goes. Especially if the highest note in the song is already at the top of the singer's range...

What I meant by that was that he won't have to relearn his vocal part or anything. Provided its within his range it won't be a problem. If it does go out of his range, the guitarists and bassist can always change their tuning and then play the song in whatever new key.