So, I'm growing sick of my RG200, it's tone is too dry and it sometimes shorts out randomly. I've decided that I'll just see what I can get trade-in value and get a new amp. What are some good amps for a melodic tone, but that can handle a solid overdrive or metal tone (think steve vai, In Flames, and Slayer) The local music store has an Ashdown Fallen Angel 40 that looks good, will it have what I'm looking for? I have a budget of about $400.

And in case it matters, I play a Schector Gryphon with an Epi G-400 (SG) as back up, and I use a Digitech rp500 for effects
what you mean "melodic tone"? do you mean like clean? im sorry i've just never heard that expression before
Your amp accounts for most of your tone. And you're using a Digitech RP, which is not all that great. What amp do you have?
Mostly the entire basis of a melodic tone comes from the player.
What I mean by melodic is, well, the guy that I play guitar with at church on sunday has this unreal tone, like satch, vai, and van halen put together. I've been playing for about two years under him and I'm starting to capture a small bit of his style as well trying to make my own sound. But my amp sucks so I just figured that an amp with better tone would help me in the process trying to figure out my own sound... sorry if the first post was confusing
Well what amp does that guy at your church have?

Ask him what he thinks, he seems to have a tone you dig.

Vai uses Carvin heads but I've heard people say that Carvin doesn't actually sound like Vai, and they're expensive as all hell.

Satch uses the JSX amp, which has a mini version for fairly cheap. With 400, you could get a JSX mini colossal, or you could hold out for a used JSX combo. I love the JSX, I think it sounds epicly good.

If you're interested in something a bit louder, give the Vox valvetronix a look, they sound very good for a modeling amp. Other than that, try the neck pickup and different settings. I've heard that Ashdown are very good, so you might wanna try that Ashdown 40 out.

I personally am a peavey guy, I've had nothing but good things to report about them. Their amps sound great, their guitars are cool, and I just generally love them.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
a tube amp will also help somewhat

TS, I dont know how one tone can be more melodic than the next if the playing is the same, and I think youre not quite sure what youre talking about either. Try going to a music store and plugging into and trying out all the amps in your price range. Maybe then youll get a better feel for the sound you want and then either we can help you better or youll know what you want.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by JayLacelle
what you mean "melodic tone"? do you mean like clean? im sorry i've just never heard that expression before

+1

TS, you need to use more commonly used expressions to describe tones. I'm not quite sure what you mean.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by woodenbandman
Satch uses the JSX amp, which has a mini version for fairly cheap. With 400, you could get a JSX mini colossal, or you could hold out for a used JSX combo. I love the JSX, I think it sounds epicly good.
The Mini Colossal sounds nothing like the high end JSX. I hated the sound of the Mini Colossal.

Go used and get a Peavey JSX (the high end one).

Like honestly, there's one on Ebay right now for $450 (with shipping).

EDIT: By the way guys, he's aiming for a Satch/Vai type of tone.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Oct 29, 2009,