So, I am saving for my first amp and wanted to get a modeling amp big enough to play back yard type stuff or small open mike venues. My budget is about $300 so I have been looking at the Peavey Vypyr 75W and the Line6 Spider 75W. What are the thoughts from someone with experience? I am not going to be doing any serious gigging and am not sure of what sound I am looking for, which is why I was looking at modeling amps. It would be nice to hear from someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight, though. No offence to salesmen.
I wouldn't have mentioned the Spider. Most of the people around UG hate it. I had it as a starting amp. I think it's a great amp for starters. But once you get to know things, definitley switch. I havent persoanlly played the Vypyr.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Vypyr 75W by a mile
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
peavey for sure, maybe you want to check out other options like a valvetronix, what genres are you playing?
I am playing mostly blues, roadhouse and rock-a-billy but I am wanting to get into classic rock from the late '60's through grunge.
Vypyr FTW. Spider's are ok for the sounds that they can actually hit. They have no versatility at all.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Line 6 served me well when I first started. I was kinda in the same boat as you and with the range of sound it did great. I moved on from there but I still own the old Spider. It does the job, can't argue that. As for the Vyper, I did play one and I don't think there's really enough difference between the two to rate one any higher than the other. They're both solid state modeling amps. Personally, I'm partial to Line 6 but you can't go wrong with the Vyper. Both companies make stuff that does what it should.
well, it really does depend on what you want the amp to do... like if you want a ton of effects built in, etc. which would mean you're looking for a modeling amp, then the Peavy is definitely the better choice but there are others... vox makes a modeling with a tube, but that's getting more expensive.
I have a friend who has the vypr and for bedroom practice + the two of us jamming kind of thing he usually has the volume knob turned only a little past 1, so it seems like it would be perfect for getting loud with, but then again, a lot of people around here really hate the spider and one of the biggest complaints I hear is that it sounds like crap when you crank it.
Honestly, I would stay away from modeling for your first amp... I just kinda like how starting with something simple, basic, that has a few solid features, is a good way to really get to know how to use your own gear for cheap. Maybe try the Peavy Valveking, or whatever their tube amp line is called. They aren't too expensive, but they ain't bad, and they'll definitely get loud if you want them to.

ALSO: EDIT
I just noticed what genres you said you were going for and I would recommend not going for either of the modeling amps you mentioned, as those are *mostly* centered around metal rock and such. Again, maybe look at the Peavy Valveking, I think. I know it does lighter rock and grunge tones.
Last edited by IROn 5L1nKY at Oct 29, 2009,
For what you want to play the line 6 is the last option you would want to consider, I sugest a Valvetronix
Ive played the spiders and they are nice once you can find certain sounds....they really are awesome for starting and stuff and right now im saving up for a peavy vypyr...idk if I want a big line 6 amp idk kinda digital
------------------------------------------------------------------------
your insane, but reasonable
Quote by westy1970
I am playing mostly blues, roadhouse and rock-a-billy but I am wanting to get into classic rock from the late '60's through grunge.

The voicing of the Vox will be more suited to your genres.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
OK, so I looked at the VOX50. It's $100 bones more than either of the other 2, but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Is the decrease in 25watts offset by by better quality sound or is there something else I should be looking at?
Believe me you wont regret those extra hundred bucks, maybe look fora used VOX 50. Or buy the one of 30 watts and mic it through the PA when gigging.
well seeing as how you don't want to gig with it, I'd recommend getting a smaller amp, maybe a 30 watt or so. I am a peavey *****, I love peavey everything, so I'd go with the Vypyr.

EDIT: The Vox is the better choice. Solid State is not peavey's strong suit, neither is modeling, but Vox does both admirably.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by westy1970
OK, so I looked at the VOX50. It's $100 bones more than either of the other 2, but I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. Is the decrease in 25watts offset by by better quality sound or is there something else I should be looking at?

Watts shouldn't really come into the discussion of how much something costs or how loud it will be. Get all of that out of your head.

I know this will blow your budget but the Vypyr 60 is soooo much better than the other vypyrs imo. The Vypyrs have a Bad Cat, JCM, and some Fender settings in addition to the metal amp settings so it can do what you want. Good point though was made about the Valvetronix. It may be better for you. Try both out if you can.

And whoever said the Valvetronix has a tube so therefore it is somehow better is misnomer. Same with all of these other modelers that stick a 12AX7 in can call it hybrid. The Vypyr 60 has power tubes which seem to warm things up. And a headphone jack.
OK, I am leaning towards the Vypyr 60 amp, but what about a Fender DSP212?

So far in the running are the Vypyr60 and 75. But I looked at the Fender 212 today and was intrigued by it. I am not sure I can afford the Vypyr60 unless I find a used one, so I am back to the $300 range.
god i hate how everyone flames line 6 spiders . ive been using one for over 3 years and ok , sometimes it is a little bit limited but it does its job , and the job it does is a pretty good one . mines a spider 2 but if i bought another line 6 i'd get a big spider 3 because of the pedal input socket , which spider 2 dosent have unfourtunatley
Vypyr, but better if you just get the 30W version + a Sanpera I or II footswitch.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
my vypyr is awesome i love it, it actually has good versitility
ive also heard alot about the vox's mainly cuz its tube...
Quote by westy1970
OK, I am leaning towards the Vypyr 60 amp, but what about a Fender DSP212?

So far in the running are the Vypyr60 and 75. But I looked at the Fender 212 today and was intrigued by it. I am not sure I can afford the Vypyr60 unless I find a used one, so I am back to the $300 range.

Don't get the fender, their lower end solid states are terrible also, minus the cleans are decent. Get the vox 30 version I believe its in your budget, don't worry about wattage.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Sorry guys, the new Spider IV's are ****ing amazing.

Yeah I hated the III's like everyone else but let me tell you, the IV's are MILES better than last years model.

I actually tried both the Vypyr 75 and Spider IV 75 today and I thought the Spider sounded much better.