=(
Do you think anyone will notice and/or care?
I just noticed they all have the word you in it, though contextually, they have very different meaning in each song >.<
I can't really give you an answer because I'm asking the same question!
I feel like I will use "I" wayyyy too much. I feel like an egocentric idiot when I reflect back on writing and I see "I" in every line.
Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
I can't really give you an answer because I'm asking the same question!
I feel like I will use "I" wayyyy too much. I feel like an egocentric idiot when I reflect back on writing and I see "I" in every line.

I don't know, I feel like my writing would really be lacking if I couldn't use the word "you". I usually am writing about different things but try to personalize it to the listener by using "you". But I also feel like it makes it seem like I'm just reusing ideas or something too :/ idk lol... Does anyone know, is it common for songwriters to have a word they use a lot? I know some artists use "love" a lot, but not in every song! Anyways I need opinions =)
Quote by sk8nalmost1394
I do the same thing, most people won't care.

ty for opinion! duly noted.
Last edited by Riffdex at Oct 29, 2009,
I guess the best way to figure out if it's "normal" to do that is to take three songs by different bands that you love and read the lyrics. Think to yourself while you read it: what words do they repeat and what are their functions in the song? what do they NOT say that you are saying?
that kind of thing
What this means, TS, is that you are a songwriter in the confessional mode (I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Try looking up lyrics by people like Iron and Wine. Often he doesn't use the conventional "I" or "you" structure.
Not that being a confessional songwriter is bad. But if you want to change it up some, looking at non-confessional songwriters is a good place to start.
It's not a big deal, but think of what it really entails. The main character in the song (the speaker) is addressing someone else. The speaker is directly telling that person how it is everytime he or she says a line with "you" in it.

Listeners don't mind running into that again and again, but as a song writer you might want to mix it up because you'll have much better songs if you get to where you "show" how it is instead of having a voice in the song "tell" how it is.

I hope I put that in a way that makes sense.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Oct 30, 2009,
When I write i write in third person if at all. Its really abstract what I write though. I PURPOSELY AVOID "i" and "you."