I have a really good heavy setting that I love using a Boss ME50 Pedal however when it comes down to solos, they sound strange and weak.

I'm learning the solo to Waking The Demon and the notes sound really plain and boring, I'm not sure why, when I take away the pedal and play with just the amp on clean it sounds the same, so I thought it was my guitar, I changed to my other guitar and the same bland noise was being outputted.

So it must be me right? Nope, had a few of my friends play in different conditions and it sounds the same...

My main guitar is a Shecter Synyster Gates Custom (Seymour Dunan) and my old one is an Epiphone Xplorer.

So does anyone have any bright suggestions on what the beef is or does everyone's sound bland? Can upload sound to show you guys if necessary.
Quote by KindredPOKER
I have a really good heavy setting that I love using a Boss ME50 Pedal however when it comes down to solos, they sound strange and weak.

I'm learning the solo to Waking The Demon and the notes sound really plain and boring, I'm not sure why, when I take away the pedal and play with just the amp on clean it sounds the same, so I thought it was my guitar, I changed to my other guitar and the same bland noise was being outputted.

So it must be me right? Nope, had a few of my friends play in different conditions and it sounds the same...

My main guitar is a Shecter Synyster Gates Custom (Seymour Dunan) and my old one is an Epiphone Xplorer.

So does anyone have any bright suggestions on what the beef is or does everyone's sound bland? Can upload sound to show you guys if necessary.

What kind of amp?
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
The pedal is shit. Case closed.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Sound clips would be much better, your descriptions are kinda vague.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Make sure your vibrato and such are good, a decent vibrato can brighten even the most terrible pedal.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm using a Marshall MG Series 30DFX, uploading a sound clip now, will link to it when its done.
MG's are really hated around here. Be prepared for people to bash your amp to pieces and blame it for your sound problem. You should also be prepared for them to be right. Your amp is most likely the problem. I have a little MG I got ages ago as a practice amp and yeah, they tend to sound pretty bland. Sorry.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
if your not adding any feeling to the solo it probably wont sound good. add some vibrato bends hammers and pull-offs which will hopelfully add more spice to it
some reverb will help the sound, it also sounds like you need more vibrato, try to thicken the note up as much as possible.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
hmm, by vibrato you mean me do vibrato more or add a vibrato effect? xD

Also any suggestions on type of reverb?
Quote by KindredPOKER
Right here is a bad sound quality recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLqZC89dunQ

I start off playing normal stuff and then stop and attempt the first bar or so of the solo, I actually laughed out load when I heard the start of the solo played back.

sounds like itd have to do with your settings and pick ups on the guitars. my jackson rr5 had a really weak sounding high end. it was rather annoying. trying raising your pickup on the high end side to be closer to the strings. that could help a bit. mess with your treble and mids a bit too. if that fails then upgrade the pick ups. im no pro so im sure someone could have better ideas than these.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Gundamnitpete
some reverb will help the sound, it also sounds like you need more vibrato, try to thicken the note up as much as possible.

reverb isnt going to do much with that sound. it's not going to brighten it up really. no matter what you throw into the signal.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
reverb isnt going to do much with that sound. it's not going to brighten it up really. no matter what you throw into the signal.

my opinion is that it will help thicken the notes.

TS, you need to add vibrato into the bend, not just hold the tension.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete

TS, you need to add vibrato into the bend, not just hold the tension.

thats not going to make it chime out though. youll just make it sound flat but bolder really. not going to really help much man.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Thanks for all of the replies guys, but I still can't seem to figure this out, I'm off to bed now anyway its like 4am here, will have another shot tomorrow.
Quote by Crohny
thats not going to make it chime out though. youll just make it sound flat but bolder really. not going to really help much man.

Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete

i know. you have said this, but the fix he is looking for isn't to thicken the notes. if youd explain more of what you mean by thicken i might be on the same level with you, but when i think of thickening and what reverb does thats not what he is looking for. opinions are cool and all but im going by what i know and from what he is telling us.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
i know. you have said this, but the fix he is looking for isn't to thicken the notes. if youd explain more of what you mean by thicken i might be on the same level with you, but when i think of thickening and what reverb does thats not what he is looking for. opinions are cool and all but im going by what i know and from what he is telling us.

i listened to the clip, and it sounded to me very very harsh, so the reverb would be there is give it a more "big" sound.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by KindredPOKER
I'm using a Marshall MG Series 30DFX, uploading a sound clip now, will link to it when its done.

That's why.

I'm not one to talk, look at my signature. I don't blame you for having a bad amp, for financial reasons, I couldn't afford a nice amp, and still cannot. I understand why people have sub par SS amps. That said, I don't expect wonder tone out of my amp and neither should you.
My Gear

Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Ibanez PF Acoustic Electric

Vox AC4TV8
Crate FXT 65

Various pedals
Quote by Gundamnitpete
i listened to the clip, and it sounded to me very very harsh, so the reverb would be there is give it a more "big" sound.

the sound was really rough for sure. its also only a MG and a crappy audio sample on youtube. so that surely isnt going to help us. haha. reverb helps more if youre a sloppy player. just saying. plus doesnt the MG 30watt or whatever it is have built in reverb? or is that just the higher wat models and the head?
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by Crohny
the sound was really rough for sure. its also only a MG and a crappy audio sample on youtube. so that surely isnt going to help us. haha. reverb helps more if youre a sloppy player. just saying. plus doesnt the MG 30watt or whatever it is have built in reverb? or is that just the higher wat models and the head?

not sure on the marshall amps, i'm not a marshall guy myself per chance

I dunno, i like the sound of a little reverb, good to thicken the sound up IMHO, good for if your playing by your lonesome.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Last edited by Gundamnitpete at Oct 30, 2009,
1. you are playing out of an MG.

2. It sounds like you have your mids set to 0. Turn up the mids and the bass. Unless you already have them turned up, then refer to 1.

I'm not trying to be an asshole or anything, but it's probably your amp.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's