My Composition Fundamentals teacher has some kind of vendetta against using the word "you" in essays, unless it's a hypothetical situation. I'm just curious, do most teachers do this? I mean, I haven't had any other teacher who's made a big deal out of this until now. I mean, is it bad to try to address the reader during an essay, or is there something I'm missing?
^ what he said, you want to keep your essays formal. addressing the reader makes it formal
NOPE
^ anothing thing is it takes a lot of punch out of the paper to use you/I/me
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
But this assignment (maybe "essay" isn't the right word to use here) is supposed to be written from personal experience; how do you keep that formal?
First and second person are incorrect in formal writing.

edit: Except in opinion pieces, or works were it is necessary to use first person. Second person is pretty much not used.
In an essay, the use of the informal second person is discouraged because an essay is an inherently formal piece of writing. It's preferable to say "one" as opposed to "you". For instance: one does not just yell racial epithets in the middle of a street, as opposed to "you don't just yell racial epithets in the middle of a street".
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
It's not acceptable and makes you sound immature.

Instead of you, use "one".

For example:

In order to ________, one should always _____________.

You can also avoid addressing personel altogether and say:

In order to ________, it is first important to ______________.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Personal pronouns are not supposed to be used in essays. A way to keep your essay formal would be to write in a style like this, as shown in the previous sentences.

I could have also written "You never use personal pronouns, you should keep your essay formal blah blah blah"
There's a way to make every informal sentence with a pronoun formal, just work at it a bit and you'll do better on every paper you write.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by MedicreDemon
I's a world?

I don't know why, but I tend to make that typo a lot.
use "one" instead of "you"

Ex. When you're tired you go to bed.

When one is tired (he/she) goes to bed.
It's very informal. It's telling the audience members what to feel, think, or say, which is too colloquial in the context of a formal essay.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by herby190

I don't know why, but I tend to make that typo a lot.

that's.......hmm what's the world for it.......strange?

lol im jp
Quote by blink182plus44
papers should always be written in the third person. that is one of the most important rules.

no it isn't.

it 100% depends on the teacher. MOST teachers want third person. others will let you write in 1st 2nd or 3rd or even a mix of them. the only person you can ask if it is ok is your teacher
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Wesseem
no it isn't.

it 100% depends on the teacher. MOST teachers want third person. others will let you write in 1st 2nd or 3rd or even a mix of them. the only person you can ask if it is ok is your teacher

It's a general rule in formal writing. It is implied, especially for most analytical essays, that formal rules apply.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by blink182plus44
papers should always be written in the third person. that is one of the most important rules.

*first person. Critical, evaluative work is typically at a higher standard than merely descriptive essays (with plenty of references to the ideas of other third party sources - scientific experiments and factual reports etc aside).

You can see why you would need to use the first person to answer a question relating towards your own values or analysation...

there aren't really rules as long as your answering the question, and not making unintentional assumptions about your teacher by using 'you' out of context; "as you can see...." "You might say,.. ", or even "very similar significance to a certain video you made I found on the internet..."
Once We Were Anarchists
Last edited by Danny7 at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's not acceptable and makes you sound immature.

Instead of you, use "one".

I hate when people use one instead, it makes you sound so pretentious and like you're trying too hard. If you have to use a pronoun, you're not doing it right anyway. It's really not difficult to avoid, as you should never directly address your audience anyway. If you find yourself addressing the audience, then your argument probably isn't very sound. If your argument is sound and well supported, there is no need to directly confront the reader to convince them.