It sounds like either an overdriven Ampeg SVT or an "SVT in a Box" bass distortion pedal. The SansAmp Bass Driver should do it - and a lot of other things, too. When trying to emulate studio album tones, remember that there is often a great deal of post-production involved in generating the tones. As often as not, the final result involves a lot more than the bassist, his bass, his amp and a few pedals.
I actually have an Ampeg SVT 4 PRO head, but I can't get that sound with it. I'm guessing it's from the tube gain on the SVT 6? I understand that the studio helps a lot but I've heard tones similar to this live and have always wanted my bass to sound like that. I'll definitely check out the Sansamp. Thanks for the suggestions, anymore are certainly welcome.
Quote by __Ronnie__
I actually have an Ampeg SVT 4 PRO head, but I can't get that sound with it. I'm guessing it's from the tube gain on the SVT 6? I understand that the studio helps a lot but I've heard tones similar to this live and have always wanted my bass to sound like that. I'll definitely check out the Sansamp. Thanks for the suggestions, anymore are certainly welcome.
Well, the SVT-4 is not all-tube, it's hybrid. Sure it may get a bit of that classic "tube sound" but it really doesn't compare to all-tube.

Also it sounds like, disregarding the overdrive, there are a lot of mids in the bass on that song.

Why did you mention the SVT-6? Is it the one that that bassist uses, or did you just mention it because of its driver tubes? Either way, yeah that probably helps.

Anyway, I think it's not really worth it to get a hybrid amp. In my opinion, you are either gonna want the functionality and reliability of a SS or the tone of a tube. You can't get both. That's not to say that hybrid amps are bad, just that they don't get the full tube sound, like they claim to.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Oct 30, 2009,