Hey UG, my band's rhythm guitarist needs a decent sounding amp that's loud enough to be heard over a drummer. What's the cheapest, decent sounding amp that can be heard over a drummer? One of my friends in another band has a Vyper 30 and it can barely be heard over their drummer. We play all kinds of rock, nothing too br00tal. Thanks.

-Shadow
Budget?

Bugera 1990
Bugera V22/55
B52 AT-112
Epiphone So-Cal
Epi Valve Senior (may be loud enough)
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by TheLetheProject
Peavey Valveking, though you should probably specify your definition of "cheap."

Tell your friend to try putting the Peavey on top of a table or something; the problem shouldn't be with loudness, but with projection, if you ask me.

A used VK112 will run about $250 and will require upgrades to really sound great, such as a new output transformer and the bias mod, which should bring you to about $400. The Peavey Windsor could use these upgrades as well, but keep in mind that it's a single-channel amp and thus you'll have to play with your guitar's volume to get cleans.

You could get a Peavey Ultra Plus or VTM head for less than $400, and probably a crappy cab for less than $100 too.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
Tell your friend to try putting the Peavey on top of a table or something; the problem shouldn't be with loudness, but with projection, if you ask me.

A used VK112 will run about $250 and will require upgrades to really sound great, such as a new output transformer and the bias mod, which should bring you to about $400. The Peavey Windsor could use these upgrades as well, but keep in mind that it's a single-channel amp and thus you'll have to play with your guitar's volume to get cleans.

You could get a Peavey Ultra Plus or VTM head for less than $400, and probably a crappy cab for less than $100 too.

We were in a completely empty room though...

Thanks for the advice though!
...Though he was just convinced to buy a 100w Frontman.
I loved the peavey windsor.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by ShadowDonut
We were in a completely empty room though...

Thanks for the advice though!
...Though he was just convinced to buy a 100w Frontman.

Nothing wrong with a Frontman if you're using it solely as a clean amp and using dirt pedals to achieve your distortion. Yes there are better amps out there but I've also heard a lot worse than the Frontman series.

As far as other amps are concerned:

- Used Peavey Valveking (Yes, I just recommended a VK - shoot me)
- Used Crate V50 and possibly an OD
- Peavey Windsor (this is a single channel amp so you will have to use your guitar's volume control to go between clean and drive).

There's more out there but I'm sick and kinda tired right now and I just can't think of anything right now.
^ I recommend what he recommended except the windsor. The valveking is pretty good for rock and it's cheap. It responds well to pedals too.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I say a used crate palamino v32 with a decent od would be a great for you. The cleans are very good but the od sucks. But the Bugera v22 is also very good and has better od but not cleans. And a used Fender Hot rod deluxe w/ od is also very good imo has better cleans then the other two but it may be a little over your budget.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
crate vc5215, palomino v50, valveking 112. hell, the spider valve 112 is $399 new right now. all should be more than loud enough.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A Peavey Windsor would be a great choice if you don't need cleans.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.