Okay, so I will have about $400-500 to spend on a cab. it will be for gigging as well as just practicing.
I just bought a Peavey 5150. I play mainly Deathmetal, Techdeath, and some 'core.
I usually play 7 stringers so it needs to have enough low end.
Ideas?
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Jackson King V (for sale!)
Ibanez 7321
Digitech Hothead(for sale!)
Digitech Deathmetal(for sale!)
If you're going new look into Avatar cabs.

If you're willing to go used you might be able to snag a Mesa Recto for around $500-600.

As far as the 2x12 vs. 4x12 - that's completely up to you.
i own 4x12 but i wish it was a 2x12

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
i own 4x12 but i wish it was a 2x12

Why? I own two 4x12s and I wouldn't trade them for anything. You can't beat the tone and feel of a 4x12 (or multiple 4x12s).
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
probably a 4x12. i dont think a 2x12 could handle a 120 watt amp

Why wouldn't it? There are speakers that are 80 and 100 watts

Yeah, like Will said a closed back Avatar cab would work. A new one is $400 shipped and you pick the tolex and speakers. A used Avatar, Vadar, Mesa, Marshall etc would work great too. Not the Marshall AVT or MG cabs obviously. I poked around real quick on craigslist and found some cabs - what part of Jersey are in?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 30, 2009,
Sussex. The most northern part you can go to. 15 mins from PA -_-
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by i_am_metalhead
If you're going new look into Avatar cabs.

If you're willing to go used you might be able to snag a Mesa Recto for around $500-600.

As far as the 2x12 vs. 4x12 - that's completely up to you.

i agree with the avatar. check out krank cabs as well. they have a cheaper version of the rev ones. theyre still over built for good low end responce and have good speakers as well. 600 new but you could probably find them used for cheaper. unless you wanted to save up the extra 100 and buy new. my 2 cents.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Why wouldn't it? Their are speakers that are 80 and 100 watts

Yeah, like Will said a closed back Avatar cab would work. A new one is $400 shipped and you pick the tolex and speakers. A used Avatar, Vadar, Mesa, Marshall etc would work great too. Not the Marshall AVT or MG cabs obviously. I poked around real quick on craigslist and found some cabs - what part of Jersey are in?

oh ok my bad. i didnt realize how loud the speakers were that he was looking for
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why? I own two 4x12s and I wouldn't trade them for anything. You can't beat the tone and feel of a 4x12 (or multiple 4x12s).
Well, some people really don't need a 4x12 cab, as they are a pain in the ass to transport IMO.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Well, some people really don't need a 4x12 cab, as they are a pain in the ass to transport IMO.

true. if i wasnt planning on trying to gig a lot i would just get a 2x12. good for small gigs. still pushes a lot of air and is loud. if youre going to be playing all sorts of places its betetr to stick with a 4x12. you can get miced p but nothing beats playing loud as ****.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I think I might go with an Avatar 212, though I did see a nice mesa 412 with the diamond plates on the sides for 500$ :P
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

They aren't that bad. I can fit two 4x12's, a 1x15, two heads, my guitars, pedals, cables, etc. all in my '88 Tempo and still have room for a passenger.

And truthfully no one needs a 4x12, but they do offer different tonal properties than a 2x12 - its all about what your ears like.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
They aren't that bad. I can fit two 4x12's, a 1x15, two heads, my guitars, pedals, cables, etc. all in my '88 Tempo and still have room for a passenger.

And truthfully no one needs a 4x12, but they do offer different tonal properties than a 2x12 - its all about what your ears like.

a 4x12 moves more air though. your eputting more sound out there. not at a higher volume but the more air there is the fuller the sound is going to be. you play a half stack then a full stack you can tell a difference just in presence of sound. a huge difference. it all depends on what youre playing gig wise and all that jazz really. perfectly example of good volume is high on fire. they play loud as ****. he is moving large amounts of air and doing it controlled. thats impressive. very impressive really. if you played at the levels he does you might find out it isnt actually that easy to control feedback and shit. he has his shit on lock. it is all preference though for sure. personally i like to played loud and push as much air as possible.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Quote by jackson player
Sussex. The most northern part you can go to. 15 mins from PA -_-

Keep your eyes open. Personally I like 212s for space and weight reasons but I don't gig.

Couple of Marshall cabs I was referring to in here for $300
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1415360624.html

Marshall JCM 1982 412 $500
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1417364090.html

Peavey JSX cab $250
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1427680753.html
On an unrelated note, I'm happy I just finally got down the main Praise The Lord riff
it's something like;
1-3-5-6-12-13-12-6-5-3
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Ibanez 7321
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
probably a 4x12. i dont think a 2x12 could handle a 120 watt amp

wat