So Monday my school is having those people come out and take blood. I want to give blood, but I'm terrified of needles. I plan on going to the Navy, and I know I have to give blood at MEPS, so I really want to go through with this and get over my fear.

Anyone know ways to help? You have to understand the extreme amount of fear I have. The last time I had to get my iron tested, they made me sit down because I was about to pass out. I started having a panic attack today just thinking about it.

Thing is, I'm only scared of small needles. It's not the pain, it's the needle itself...
Quote by shredder2be93

Thing is, I'm only scared of small needles. It's not the pain, it's the needle itself...

The needle is about as big as an elephant's dick... so... don't worry...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
hold on to something, look somewhere else, and think about grass fields.

i can't count how many needles i've encountered from pre/post-surgery. i was deathly afraid of needles before, but now, it's just a slight pinch on your skin.
"take your form
be my fear, be my hope
be the indication
if i'm right or wrong

take your most dreadful form
and let it be known"
he provided assurance
Last edited by gavincandance at Oct 29, 2009,
Quote by severed-metal
Do you know why you're scared of needles?

Just wondering, no means of insulting you.

Not really, it's like a barrier is set up in my mind, and thinking about it at all is terrifying. Especially the thought of it going on the inside of my arm. The tough outside wouldn't be bad, the inside is so vulnerable though..
You can't even feel the shit.
It's about the size of your piss-hole and feels like a fly landing on your bare skin.
Last edited by StringAssassin at Oct 29, 2009,
But seriously if you're only scared of small needles, don't worry. Because it really is a big needle.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
lie down when getting the needle so you don't faint, although that's an obvious one.
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Quote by shredder2be93
Not really, it's like a barrier is set up in my mind, and thinking about it at all is terrifying. Especially the thought of it going on the inside of my arm. The tough outside wouldn't be bad, the inside is so vulnerable though..

Just bite the pain man, it won't be that big of a deal if you close your eyes either. I hate needles too, they're awful, but they're not a huge deal thank god.

Once it's done, it's done, right?

Just don't cry and throw things. That won't be good for anyone.
Ehh, just do it and pass out. After a couple times of passing out you will probably just get used to it and needles wont bother you anymore. Just confront it.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Just think about something else dude. Or...just don't give blood?

Well that is the obvious solution, but I really want to get over this, because when you are trying to enter the military while passing out and being skiddish, that's not a good impression.
in previous needle experiences, did you look at the needle first/during?

just don't look at it. the nurse taking your blood at school will understand.. they see TONS of people who suddenly freak out, or have fears like that, so don't be afraid to just say "I just don't want to see it"

and you'll feel it, but think of other things, like whats already been said.

when it's all finished, take a look at it. it's already done, the needle's out of you, and you're still alive and well. you didnt see the thing, but you lived through it.

it's just a matter of disassociating bad things and needles in your head, I think ..
I used to be afraid of needles but thanks to the medical world I had to get my blood drawn every damn month. After awhile I'd hold conversations with nurses lol
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
If the person who's taking your blood is worth a shit, they'll talk to you in hopes of keeping you calm. Avoid looking at the needle before they stick you, or you might freak out. I gave blood for the first time not so long ago, and I was really nervous. Think about your favorite thing you do (guitar, art, women, w/e) anything to distract you from the needle. Once its out, you may want to give blood again soon. Drink tons of fluids and eat alot yadda, yadda, yadda...
Looking away is kinda hard for me to do, although I'll give it a shot. Once the needle is in and the tube has blood in it I'll be fine. I'm not sure if watching the tube fill up will freak me out. Wow, this is pathetic >
I couldn't read this thread without starting to hyperventilate, so you're not alone.

Actually I didn't read it all.

Anyway of the few things you can do, you can reassure yourself with calming thoughts ("I can do this, I am calm, everything is alright") and hold on to something with your other hand. Preferably a stress ball. The more you have the less the fear should be (hopefully), so when the fear is greatest the most you can do is cope until it lessens with experience.
Quote by biga29
The needle is about as big as an elephant's dick... so... don't worry...

Best first post in a long time.

Quote by Uber Man
hey, at least your not afraid of stupid things. i know someone who is scared of butterflies, and another that is scared of balloons... Think of it this way, if someone who is scared of BUTTERFLIES! isn't afraid of needles, why should you be?

......except for the fact I'm terrified of butterflies as well...probably as much as needles...

Nah I kid :P
Honestly when it comes to giving blood, you wont even feel it.

Take your Ipod, put your headphones in and just tell the nurse that you have a phobia of needles and you're going to have your headphones in. Turn the music up so you cant hear anything and look away. I garauntee you wont even know it's happeneing.
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Quote by AstheticsOfHate
Honestly when it comes to giving blood, you wont even feel it.

Take your Ipod, put your headphones in and just tell the nurse that you have a phobia of needles and you're going to have your headphones in. Turn the music up so you cant hear anything and look away. I garauntee you wont even know it's happeneing.

Best idea so far!
Yay i did something usefull!
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
don't look.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"