Is there a difference between a triplet with a number 3 written above it and one without?
A "triplet", as I understand it, IS what you get when there's a three above it.
Like, in guitarpro, if you have three eighth notes with a 3 above them, then those three eighth notes are all played in the time it takes to play and hold one quarter note.
But I'm not very good with technical terms, so listen more closely to the smart people who will post in a moment or two.
triplets are just 3 hits with equal intervals between each of them in one beat. they should always be written with a 3 above them if im correct

EDIT: also just to make it clear, there can be triplet eigth notes and triplet quarter notes, both of which should have a 3 over them
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Oct 29, 2009,
They should always be written with a 3 IMO, but I've seen music with just the brackets and three eighth notes inside leading you to assume a triplet was intended.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Whereas normally two quarter notes are the same duration as a half note, three triplet quarter notes total that same duration, so the duration of a triplet quarter note is 2/3 the duration of a standard quarter note. Similarly, three triplet eighth notes are equal in duration to one quarter note. If several note values appear under the triplet bracket, they are all affected the same way, reduced to their original 2/3 duration.
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
You do not need a three over the notes for it to be triplets. It's just a lazy way to write it...

That's how I write triplets.
Triplets are usually denoted with a 3 above them, but often in old orchestral music there will just be quavers beemed in groups of three but with no 3's (the player is expected to realise).

If you mean the triplets where there are three notes with one bracket and only one three, then no there is no difference, they are all the same length.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Depends on the time signature. Like in 6/8 three eighth notes is automatically a triplet, iirc. But yea, three notes with a three above them makes it a triplet.

You are not correct. A triplet is 3 notes of equal duration played in the space of 2 notes, you are actually stuffing an extra note where there 'shouldn't' be one. In 6/8 time three eighth notes are not automatically triplets since the duration of 3 eighth notes = the dotted quarter (beat).

There are other 'tuplets' where you can have 4,5,6,etc. notes tied together. All tuplets have an extra note where it should be one fewer of that note.

Genertally, all tuplets are tied with their number written. It is possible to have 3 eighth notes linked together that are not a triplet for example if you had a 4/4 bar with a quarter then 3 eighth then quarter then eighth note the three eighth notes in the middle could be connected, but not a triplet.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
If it's notated with a 3 above it, it's a triplet. But in a lot of music, if there are many triplets in a section, they will just be notated as a 3 notes beamed together, as it will be obvious they are triplets. Sometimes these sections have the first few triplets notated with the 3 above, the rest being implied.
Quote by zoomy74

There are other 'tuplets' where you can have 4,5,6,etc. notes tied together. All tuplets have an extra note where it should be one fewer of that note.

In the politest way possible, this is wrong.

Firstly, for any odd numbered tuplet the full amount of tuplets (so 3 triplets, 5 pentuplets) last the same amount of time as the nearest power of 2. This basically means that seven septuplets quavers fill the same space as 4 quavers. Same goes for 11 11-tuplets quavers filling the space of 8 quavers etc.

Secondly, even numbered tuplets represent a totally different system. In your definition 2 tuplet (2-tuplet) quavers would last the same amount of time as one quaver (making it a semiquaver). Instead a 2 tuplet quavers last the same amount of time as one dotted crotchet (making them the same as 2 dotted quavers).
Quote by 12345abcd3
In the politest way possible, this is wrong.

Firstly, for any odd numbered tuplet the full amount of tuplets (so 3 triplets, 5 pentuplets) last the same amount of time as the nearest power of 2. This basically means that seven septuplets quavers fill the same space as 4 quavers. Same goes for 11 11-tuplets quavers filling the space of 8 quavers etc.

Secondly, even numbered tuplets represent a totally different system. In your definition 2 tuplet (2-tuplet) quavers would last the same amount of time as one quaver (making it a semiquaver). Instead a 2 tuplet quavers last the same amount of time as one dotted crotchet (making them the same as 2 dotted quavers).

Sorry, you are correct... I got in a rush towards the end of my post (other work related things). I am thick skinned so you didn't have to be that polite.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel