Something around the $300-$600 range. I play punk and metal, so something that caters to those sounds. Preferably not Ibanez... I've heard Dual Coil pickups are best for the sound I'm looking for, but I don't think I've ever tried out a guitar with such a setup.
We're going to need much more info. Exact playing style, sort of tone you're after, what amp/pedals you use, what neck scale length you prefer, what neck thickness and width your prefer, do you like heavier or lighter guitars, do you like bolt-on, set or through-necks, do you want a hardtail or a vibrato bridge...
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
1. Amp?
2. Can you go used?
3. Neck preference?
4. How heavy of metal?
5. Kind of tone you're looking for(Similar artists, bass-heavy, trebly, etc.)?

Edit; As Flibble said, the scale length you like would also be good, along with bridge, neck joint, and such. Also probably a good time to ask what fretboard wood you like the feel of.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 30, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
We're going to need much more info. Exact playing style, sort of tone you're after, what amp/pedals you use, what neck scale length you prefer, what neck thickness and width your prefer, do you like heavier or lighter guitars, do you like bolt-on, set or through-necks, do you want a hardtail or a vibrato bridge...

Don't have an amp yet, although I like the Line 6 amps a lot. I've been playing acoustic for the whole time I've played guitar and only ever played my friends' electrics, so I don't even know about most of that stuff. Similar artists for tone would be like Converge (I think he uses Washburn), The Acacia Strain, The Black Dahlia Murder, that kind of stuff. Thinner neck would work better and shorter scale length.

I don't know about any of the other stuff, sorry...
Ooooh, I can actually help as I like the same stuff.
I would go with a Jackson King V (the new kvx10 is only 500, not bad, I love mine. First metal guitar as well :P) or an Ibanez. They both usually really nice thin necks.
For an amp, buy a peavey viper 30. They are better than most the line 6's.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922869-i1413606.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RGA42FM-Electric-Guitar-502235-i1463462.gc

if you can save about another $100.

but it's really down to you on the guitar, go to your local store and juss play whatever seems appealing.
Gear:

Peavey 5150
Crate 4x12
Jackson King V (for sale!)
Ibanez 7321
Digitech Hothead(for sale!)
Digitech Deathmetal(for sale!)