Basically, a couple months ago I got a copy of The Who Live At Kilburn. I already love the Ox as a huge fan of The Who, but I'm absolutely in love with his tone here. He's using his custom Alembic Explorer bass on it, and I was wondering if, since I'm working on Reznoring an album(Playing all the instruments myself thanks to multitracking), I was wondering if there's any sort of bass I can buy to get a similar tone running straight into a PA/recording stuff?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZkYxVkFVA

sounds kinda like a Spector going through a good drive.

get a Sansamp Bass Driver DI and one of them. a VM J may get close if you're on a tight budget.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Alright, will look around any local shops, see if they have those, mess with them and see what it sounds like. Much appreciated. Anyone else?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Here's some tips: get a bass, put on brand new RotoSound 66s (maybe light gauge?), set the action on the bass pretty low, then proceed to hit the strings quite hard. Roll the tone knob down to about 60%. Apply heavy compression and some light overdrive. And the guy above was right, a jazz should get pretty close. Hope that helps!
Last edited by b4nny at Oct 30, 2009,
John Entwistle relied on a number of things for his tone. He liked expensive Alembic and Warwick basses, but he also played many Fenders and Gibson Thunderbirds with Fender Precision necks ("Fenderbirds"). Entwistle relied on a lot of high-end in order to cut through. He always said he cut the bass and cranked the treble on his amplifiers. He used Marshall and Hiwatt guitar amplifiers, and later Sunn bass amplifiers. I'm sure he used other amplifiers, too. In his instructional video, he is seen playing through a Marshall guitar cabinet and is using a rackmounted DigiTech guitar preamp similar to the DigiTech GSP 1101. And of course, he always played at ear-splitting volumes. Try Rotosound roundwounds, lots of treble and midrange on your amplifier and apocalyptic sound pressure levels and you'll be on the right track.
oh of course!!!

make sure you keep a bright set of Roto 66 (practically his signature string) on at all times, change them constantly.

thanks guys
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom

make sure you keep a bright set of Roto 66 (practically his signature string) on at all times, change them constantly.

He's claimed to have changed strings daily - he pretty definitely had new strings on for every show.
He also used Bi-amped trace rigs didnt he, through many different sizerd cabs. That would have done alot.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul